Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Baby parts for sale

1. Nov 27, 2005 #1

wolram

Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2005 #2

wolram

Gold Member

Italy rushes in law to ban 'spare part' baby sales
    By Bruce Johnston in Rome
    (Filed: 18/05/2003)

Italy's government has vowed to push through legislation to stop the sale of human organs after a female gang auctioned off a newborn child near the southern port of Bari, possibly so that its organs could be used for transplants.

The three-strong gang of Ukrainians, including the baby's mother, sold the boy for 350,000 euros (£250,000) while he was still in the womb, not realising that the successful bidders were undercover carabinieri police officers.

The police are now investigating several Italians for expressing an interest in buying the child for its organs. "The terrible case of Bari confirms the urgency. A bill is before the justice committee of the lower house which explicitly envisages cases not only of sexual exploitation but also the removal of organs," said Stefania Prestagiacomo, minister for equal opportunities.

Doctors at Rome's Babbino Gesu paediatric hospital said that both the heart and liver of a newborn baby would be suitable for transplant, although the heart would only help another infant.

Last week Pier Luigi Vigna, the head of Italy's anti-Mafia commission, said that there was "more than just a suspicion" that the group was attempting to traffic human organs.

Last January the gang offered the unborn baby to startled officers posing as drug runners. "There's a five-month parcel waiting for you if you're interested," they announced.

The bidding began at €50,000 (£35,000) but the price swiftly started to rise as investigators struggled to keep pace with rival bidders. Their overriding interest, they said last week, was to secure the "purchase" and save the baby's life.

4. Nov 28, 2005 #3
    ....................................................................................................
    ....................................................................................................

That's just wrong.

5. Nov 28, 2005 #4
    no kidding, I wouldn't pay more than 125,000

6. Nov 28, 2005 #5
    I think you lost your ribbon for that one, as I don't see it there any more.

7. Nov 28, 2005 #6
    Yeah, I asked Greg to take it off. I was getting tired of it taking attention away from yours. Oh wait you've never had one.

8. Nov 28, 2005 #7

Oh you're funny, but looks aren't everything.

My head is several sizes to big right now. :frown:

9. Nov 28, 2005 #8

wolram

Gold Member

This is what gets me.

Italy's government has vowed to push through legislation to stop the sale of human organs after a female gang auctioned off a newborn child near the southern port of Bari, possibly so that its organs could be used for transplants.

How many countries allow the sale of human organs ?

10. Nov 28, 2005 #9
    I think it should be possible to sell human organs. The ones you can live without kidney, bone marrow, hearts. etc. Set a price and have everyone interested sign up. Get some good matches, and you can save a life and get a new car all in one stroke. A steady supply gets rid of the black market aspect. I'll go through a bone marrow transplant for a new laptop. It might not solve the problem for some organs, but the act of getting more people donating their expendable organs would surely boost the number of people who check the organ donor box on their drivers license.

11. Nov 28, 2005 #10

wolram

Gold Member

I totaly agree, but not when the B---s sell a baby to be harvested for its organs
    I didn't know one could live without a heart so if you sell yours please let us know how you get on.

12. Nov 28, 2005 #11
    Moonbear's been living without hers for years now.

I'm just kidding Moonbear. you know I love you.

13. Nov 28, 2005 #12

wolram

Gold Member

He wasn't Moonbear he meant it, what an awfull person, we all know Moonbear has one of the biggest :smile:

14. Nov 28, 2005 #13
    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I thought that was purdy funny.

15. Nov 28, 2005 #14
    I didn't even realize it was a joke until tribdog said he was kidding :smile:

16. Nov 28, 2005 #15

wolram

Gold Member

Dont worry mattmns, it takes a certain mentality to be able to joke about the
    the horrors of this world, i can just about understand it, but i can not laugh.

17. Nov 28, 2005 #16
    the only joke I said was that Moonbear doesn't have a heart. I don't think that qualifies as a horror of the world. and sometimes a person has to laugh at the true horror stories to keep from crying. I think it is horrible that baby organs sell for so much, especially when you consider that you can get those same organs for 2.99/lb once they are ground into chuck steaks.

18. Nov 28, 2005 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Only if it isn't followed by a substantial penance paid in chocolate. :devil: Now, how do I work this banning button thingy? :devil: :devil: :devil:

19. Nov 28, 2005 #18
    That was one of the saddest things I have ever read. I can not even begin to understand why ..and its left my stomach..eh gads.

20. Nov 28, 2005 #19
    if you need a new stomach I know a guy who can get his hands on some

21. Nov 28, 2005 #20
    My mother always told me to avoid men who can get there hands on a stomach. The rule has worked pretty well so far, I only seek people who can touch my heart...and even that can be rather juicy, and not for the faint.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?