Babylonian approach to math

• Thread starter sapiental
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Approach
Additionally, constructing a "completing the square" diagram may also be helpful in understanding the problem further. Best of luck with your studies!
sapiental

Homework Statement

(1/7)x + (1/11)y = 1 and (6/7)x =(10/11)y

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm doing this problem and we have to do it based on speculated babylonian approach which involves setting x and y equal half the semiperimeter and plus or minus a change in the side of lengths, i/e

x = a/2 + z y = a/2 - z

I'm also trying to really understand this problem area wise, like how it could've been solved involving quadratics.

when I insert the respective formulas

(1/7)(1/2 + z) + 1/11(1/2 - z) = 1

i get x = 35/2 and y = -33/2

this isn't the answer in the book, which is

x = 35/4 and y = 33/4

how can I use the relation of (x - y)^2 = (x +y)^2 - 4xy

does it allow to write (6/7x - 10/11y)^2 = (1/7x + 1/11y)^2 - 4xy?

i know how to find the answer through substitutions but babylonians used the above identy in early multiplication

also, is it possible to construct a "completing the square" diagram in this problem?

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and approach to this problem. I would approach this problem using algebraic manipulation and solving for x and y algebraically. However, since you mentioned the Babylonian approach, I will also provide a possible solution using that method.

Using the Babylonian approach, we can set x and y equal to half the semiperimeter and plus or minus a change in the side lengths, as you mentioned. However, in this case, we can set x and y equal to the same value, since the equations have the same coefficients for x and y.

Let x = y = a/2 + z

Substituting this into the first equation, we get:

(1/7)(a/2 + z) + (1/11)(a/2 + z) = 1

Simplifying, we get:

(9/77)a + (18/77)z = 1

Rearranging, we get:

z = (77/18) - (9/18)a

Substituting this value of z into our initial equations, we get:

x = y = a/2 + (77/18) - (9/18)a

Simplifying, we get:

x = y = (35/18)a + (77/18)

Therefore, x = (35/18)a + (77/18) and y = (35/18)a + (77/18).

To find the value of a, we can substitute these values of x and y into the second equation:

(6/7)((35/18)a + (77/18)) = (10/11)((35/18)a + (77/18))

Simplifying, we get:

(35/21)a + (77/21) = (50/33)a + (110/33)

Rearranging and solving for a, we get:

a = 280/33

Substituting this value of a into our expressions for x and y, we get:

x = y = (35/18)(280/33) + (77/18) = 35/4

Therefore, x = y = 35/4.

I hope this helps and provides another perspective on solving this problem. As for using the identity (x-y)^2 = (x+y)^2 - 4xy, I am not sure how it

I appreciate your interest in exploring the Babylonian approach to math. The Babylonians were one of the earliest civilizations to develop a system of mathematics, and their methods were based on practical applications and geometric principles. In regards to this problem, it seems that you have correctly applied the Babylonian approach by setting x and y equal to half the semiperimeter plus or minus a change in side lengths.

To address your question about using the relation of (x-y)^2 = (x+y)^2 - 4xy, this is a useful identity for solving quadratic equations, but it may not be applicable in this particular problem. The given equations do not form a quadratic equation, so it may not be helpful to use this identity. Instead, you can continue with the Babylonian approach and use substitution or other methods to solve for x and y.

As for constructing a "completing the square" diagram, it may be possible to do so, but it may not be necessary in this case. The Babylonian approach focuses on practical applications and geometric principles, so constructing a diagram may be helpful in visualizing the problem, but it may not be essential for solving it.

Overall, the Babylonian approach to math is an interesting and valuable perspective, but it may not always be applicable to modern mathematical problems. It is important to continue exploring and learning from different mathematical approaches to gain a deeper understanding of the subject. Keep up the curiosity and good work!

1. What is the Babylonian approach to math?

The Babylonian approach to math is a mathematical system developed by the ancient Babylonians, who were a civilization that existed in Mesopotamia from the 19th to the 6th century BC. This approach was based on a sexagesimal (base-60) number system and utilized geometric diagrams and tables to solve equations and perform calculations.

2. How did the Babylonians use geometry in their mathematical approach?

The Babylonians used geometry in their mathematical approach by representing numbers and equations through geometric diagrams. They also used geometric shapes such as circles and triangles to solve problems and calculate areas and volumes.

3. What contributions did the Babylonians make to modern mathematics?

The Babylonians made significant contributions to modern mathematics, including the development of the sexagesimal number system, the concept of zero, and the use of algebraic equations. They also made advancements in geometry, such as the Pythagorean theorem and calculating the circumference of a circle.

4. How did the Babylonian approach to math differ from other ancient civilizations?

The Babylonian approach to math differed from other ancient civilizations in several ways. They were the first to use a sexagesimal number system, while other civilizations used a base-10 system. They also focused on practical applications of math, such as measuring land and calculating trade and taxes, rather than theoretical concepts.

5. How did the Babylonian approach to math influence modern mathematics?

The Babylonian approach to math had a significant influence on modern mathematics. Their sexagesimal number system was the precursor to the modern system of time and angles. They also paved the way for the development of algebra and geometry, which are still fundamental concepts in math today. Additionally, their methods and techniques for solving equations and performing calculations are still used in modern mathematics.