1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bachelor's degree

1. Dec 22, 2009 #1
    Let's say a person is working full-time on a job. Then, if he/she wanted to get a bachelor's degree in physics for example, then what's his/her best choice? To take a university's evening courses, or online courses, or what?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 22, 2009 #2
    Courses are usually scheduled during the daytime (at least all except a couple of my science classes were). Online courses are fine but there is only so much you can learn from that method. I took an intro pharmacology course online and found it fine, but that is probably because it is more memorization than solving problems. If you want to work full time and go back to school then you should look into schools of your choice for schedules, degree planning, etc and also look to re-organize your life as being a full time student is tough even without a full time job.
  4. Dec 22, 2009 #3

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I don't think there's a "best" choice out there. It really depends on the person.

I would suggest that you start out by taking a first-year university physics class and maybe first year calculus as well. This will help you get your feet wet and learn if the study of physics at the university level is what you really want to do.
  5. Dec 22, 2009 #4
    I go to a big commuter school that caters to people who work, so there are almost always night sections of all the prereqs and a lot of the required courses. By the time I got to the 3rd year of engineering, I couldn't get out of taking night courses. I also know guys who are working full time and just have it sorted out with their boss for the hours they need to miss to be in class.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook