Back EMF in a Motor - Does It Alternate?

In summary, a circuit with a battery and a rotating loop of wire in a magnetic field will experience a changing magnetic flux and an alternating emf. The back-emf will alternate between positive and negative, similar to a sine wave. The direction of rotation can be controlled by changing the direction of one of the magnetic fields. To achieve the "absolute value" effect, the leads of the rotating coil must be flipped in relation to the output leads. This can be seen in a good animation of a simple DC generator.
Gear300
Say you had a circuit with a battery and a loop of wire somewhere in the middle of the circuit. The loop of wire is positioned so that it is free to rotate in a uniform magnetic field, and since a current is running through it, a torque will be supplied by the magnetic force allowing it to rotate. The rotation of the coil will cause a changing magnetic flux because the angle constantly changes. The circuit to begin with was a DC circuit, but if an expression were to be derived for the emf induced in the coil, it would be an alternating emf. Does the back emf alternate back and forth completely or does it only vary sinousidally every half a period much like the emf provided in DC generators?

Physics news on Phys.org
It should alternate + and - similar to a sine wave.

When the torque on the coil is in the direction it is rotating, the back-emf is negative as in a DC motor, and current is reduced.
When the torque opposes the direction of rotation (i.e. it is being decelerated), the emf is positive, and current is increased.

Hope that helps.

p.s. I'm not sure if or how the changes in current would make the oscillations deviate from a true sine wave (it's getting late and it's been a while since I thought about this stuff).

I see...I was thinking that it was a sine wave, but one that didn't alternate so that it would increase the current (meaning that half the period would be cut off per cycle...sort of like the absolute value of the sine function instead).

Er, it will move but it will not rotate, it will position itself so that the N field of the coil points to the S pole of your magnet or vice versa, and stay like that till you switch current off. To get rotation you have now to change the direction of one of the magnetic fields somehow. That is the whole engineering question for how to make electric motors I think.

To get the "absolute value" effect, as is done with DC generators and motors, one needs to flip the leads of the rotating coil w.r.t. the output leads, before the emf goes to a negative value.

I found a good animation showing the effect. I can't post the url until after I've made 15 posts here, but if you Google "Simple direct current (DC) generators contain an armature" (including the quotes) the first link will show what I mean. Notice how the contacts get switched every half-cycle in the figure.

1. What is Back EMF in a motor?

Back EMF (electromotive force) in a motor is the voltage that is produced in the opposite direction of the current flow when a magnetic field is applied to the motor's windings. This occurs due to the laws of electromagnetism and the motor's rotation.

2. How is Back EMF created in a motor?

Back EMF is created in a motor when the magnetic field produced by the current in the motor's windings interacts with the magnetic field of the permanent magnets in the motor. This interaction generates a voltage in the opposite direction, thus creating the Back EMF.

3. Why is Back EMF important in motors?

Back EMF is important in motors because it helps regulate the motor's speed and power consumption. As the motor speeds up, the Back EMF also increases, which limits the current flow and prevents the motor from overheating. This allows for efficient and safe operation of the motor.

4. Does Back EMF alternate in a motor?

Yes, Back EMF alternates in a motor, meaning that its direction and magnitude change as the motor rotates. This is due to the continuous interaction between the motor's windings and the permanent magnets, resulting in a constantly changing Back EMF.

5. How does Back EMF affect the performance of a motor?

Back EMF affects the performance of a motor by limiting the current flow and controlling the speed of the motor. It also plays a role in the motor's efficiency, as a higher Back EMF can result in lower power consumption. Additionally, Back EMF can cause a phenomenon known as "counter-electromotive force," which can affect the accuracy and precision of the motor's operation.