Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Back end defect- coring

1. Aug 22, 2005 #1
    Hello,
    I'm learning about the phenomenon of coring (back end defect) during the process of aluminium extrusion. I try to find a solution to this problem.
    Is there anyone who know how can I prevent or even reduce this problem from the extrusion process
    thanks
    Yaver

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2005 #2

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you mean a some sort of a limit forming problem ?

4. Sep 3, 2005 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Coring (or coning or piping) is usually a front end problem in the extrusion of round barstock from round billets, and it is usually a problem with softer metals. I am somewhat familiar with this problem because it resulted in some defective barstock which led to product failures in the field.

The problems arises because there is a huge gradient in the hydrostatic and shear stresses at the front face of billet that is extruded through a die, and perhaps increases as the billet diameter increases in comparison to the die hole diameter. Perhaps a similar problem exists at the back end.

Also die lubrication might be an issue.

Adding a disk of softer material (Al) between the billet and mandrel might help.

But then one needs to cut off the Al portion at the back end.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?