Back Home from the Southwest - My Experience

• Thread starter motai
  • Start date
In summary: Anyways, good to see you around again! i missed you!Welcome back Motai.Motai has just returned from a trip to the southwest, where he visited the Grand Canyon and the nearby Bradbury Science Museum. He also had a chance to visit Los Alamos National Laboratories. Motai comments that the worst part of the trip was the Las Vegas area, as it was "boring" and the weather was "miserable". He enjoyed the wet heat of Arizona more than the dry heat of Nevada. Motai also comments on his return home and how happy he is to be back.
motai
I finally got back home from the southwest, where I have been for the past month or so. Went to the usual tourist traps (Grand Canyon [north and south rim], Sedona, etc), along with some out-of-the-way places like El Sanctuario de Chimayo, and of course the Mecca for all scientists across America: Los Alamos National Laboratories. Unfortunately I wasn't able to go inside the labs, but the local Bradbury Science Museum was very informative and was practically like being in the lab itself. At the very least, I know that I can apply to intern at Los Alamos in the future :tongue2:.

The worst part about the trip IMO was the Las Vegas area. Being a 17 year old doesn't present much opportunities to do anything there, and the weather was miserable for the most part. While I was there though I made an allusion to the slot machines as being equivalent to broken vending machines, putting dollars in and not getting anything out (and having people drawn from all over the world to use these broken vending machines !).

Hmm.. I guess I could go into more detail, but then I would be describing rocks (which was the most prominent feature considering I come from a flat state).

I think I like the wet heat rather than the dry heat, but that is just my opinion. The sun seems less intense.

At least I'm back home :smile:.

Physics news on Phys.org
MOTAI! HEY! you're back! glad to hear the trip went well. i traveled out there a few years ago, and i thought the same thing about the dry heat... but whenever we get a hot humid day like today, i sort of change my mind..

anyways, good to see you around again! i missed you!

Welcome back Motai. Since just saying this would feel like a 'standard' 'welcome back' repsonse to everyone, let me just remind you of what i know of you..

You play the B-flat clarinet, love talking Musical physics to mates in your class (i.e. boring them out as you claim), and you currently have no decent teachers in physics to teach you in science and physics, but are trying to learn as hard on your own on general advanced concepts. (this is a good thing by the way, not a bad thing).

Hope that's enough for you. Let us appreciate more of your holiday (i.e. discussing, arguing, and eventually mod-locking) by asking you (of course, its your choice) to post any good pictures from your holiday, if you have any.

Again, welcome back. Let's hope that Homer simpson can be made happy here now even when reality doesn't seem to.

:biggrin:

Bladibla said:
Let us appreciate more of your holiday (i.e. discussing, arguing, and eventually mod-locking) by asking you (of course, its your choice) to post any good pictures from your holiday, if you have any.

Again, welcome back. Let's hope that Homer simpson can be made happy here now even when reality doesn't seem to.

:biggrin:

Thanks Bladibla, though I was only gone for a month (I know others here go vacant for much longer).

Holiday? :confused: I wasn't aware of any holidays, but I guess pictures of me out west are pending as soon as I can get a hold of them.

Right now I'm trying to balance my natural need for sleep from the jet lag and online time which I have so sorely missed, I'll probably end up doing both and fall asleep at the computer. :biggrin:

Sounds like you have a fun trip. 1 month is a good time frame, and even at my age, I would agree Las Vagas sucks.

motai said:
Thanks Bladibla, though I was only gone for a month (I know others here go vacant for much longer).

Holiday? :confused: I wasn't aware of any holidays, but I guess pictures of me out west are pending as soon as I can get a hold of them.

Right now I'm trying to balance my natural need for sleep from the jet lag and online time which I have so sorely missed, I'll probably end up doing both and fall asleep at the computer. :biggrin:

Ack, forgive me. Maybe it wasn't a holiday for you as i have foolishly assumed.

Maybe looking back a few pages here on GD will help you keep 'up' with what has happened.

Either ways, i hope you recover soon from your jetlag and be up for great discussions here at PF. :zzz:

Pages?! Eeeyak! The GD forum spans back pages until eternity! It will take forever to catch up on all the material. Even reading the super-long threads such as Ask a Stupid Quetion from page 1 will take a long time... :cry:

Gale17 said:
i traveled out there a few years ago, and i thought the same thing about the dry heat... but whenever we get a hot humid day like today, i sort of change my mind..
110 degrees is not that bad. we put up with it every day!

anyway, motai, whoever you are, welcome back!

motai said:
Even reading the super-long threads such as Ask a Stupid Quetion from page 1 will take a long time... :cry:
that thread's been overtaken by thread killer champions. which would be longer if evo hadn't closed it :mad:

1. How did your experience in the Southwest influence your research?

My time in the Southwest provided me with a unique perspective on the natural environment and the people who live there. This perspective has influenced my research by allowing me to consider the cultural and environmental factors that may impact my findings.

2. What was the most memorable part of your trip back home from the Southwest?

The most memorable part of my trip back home from the Southwest was reconnecting with family and friends. It was refreshing to spend time with loved ones and share my experiences with them.

3. Did you encounter any challenges during your trip, and if so, how did you overcome them?

One challenge I encountered during my trip was adjusting to the climate and altitude differences. To overcome this, I made sure to stay hydrated and take breaks when needed. I also consulted with locals and researched tips for adjusting to the high altitude.

4. How did the cultural differences in the Southwest impact your research?

The cultural differences in the Southwest provided me with a diverse range of perspectives and allowed me to expand my understanding of the topic I was researching. It also highlighted the importance of considering cultural context in scientific research.

5. Would you recommend others in your field to visit the Southwest for research purposes?

Absolutely. The Southwest offers a unique and diverse environment for research, with a rich cultural history and stunning natural landscapes. I believe that anyone in my field would benefit greatly from a visit to the Southwest for research purposes.