1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Back Pressure in a pipe

1. Feb 18, 2013 #1
    Hello All,

Problem Statement :
    • This is for design of a 24" sparge pipe for transporting hot water (85 deg C) for over 60 ft.
    • Asked to calculate the Back pressure

Data :
    • Liquid in the pipe: water
    • Flow rate : 3010 m^3/hr = 0.83611 m^3/sec
    • Pipe Dia : 24" = 2.032 mts
    • No elbows throughout 60 ft length

How do I go about this calculation ?
    1. Do I first find out if its laminar flow or turbulent flow
    2. How to arrive at back pressure equations ?
    3. Found a link "www.harcomanufacturing.com/docs/Backpressure%20CalculatorP.xls" [Broken] : that gives an equation which I have never come across in any internet searches before. Is that how Back pressure is calculated

Background of the problem:
    This is for a Rotary Breaker project where we have a 24" Sparge Pipe that is sprays hot water onto the huge chunks of solids being processed inside a rotary breaker. Rotary breakers belong the screening family ; where the machine breaks the solids inside a giant cylindrical section (this project ; 16ft Dia) and keep screening the materials as the go forwards in length. Water is used to form a semi slurry state to help fascilitate the breaking

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2013 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook