Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Back to the future - the movie

1. Dec 12, 2005 #1
    sorry, I dont think I'm posting this thread in the right section, but then I'm not sure which section this thread belongs to

I would really like to discuss the movie "Back to the Future (1985)" coz I just saw it ...

btw something I couldnt understand was the significance of 88 miles per hour - that was the speed required in the movie to time travel - but why did they pick 88 miles per hour?

and whats the concept behind flux capacitor?

also, i found the whole pic disappearing thing kinda childish ...

anyway ... your thoughts on the movie?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2005 #2

Danger

Gold Member

I loved it, but there's absolutely no real science involved in it. This thread should actually be in General Discussion.

4. Dec 12, 2005 #3

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

You're reading waaaayyyyyy too much into the movie.

5. Dec 12, 2005 #4
    yeah no doubt, it's a really entertaining and engaging movie .... but yeah, it's really childish

my teacher asked me to write a paper on it and combine it with time travel and all ...

but after watching the movie, i knew i wouldnt be able to write a paper on it ... coz theres seriously no scienece involved in it

6. Dec 12, 2005 #5
    heres the deal ...

when i watched, i was gonna write a a paper on it ... and discuss the paradoxes associated with timetravel ...

but i dont think i can write a paper on it anymore ... it's way too childish

7. Dec 12, 2005 #6

Danger

Gold Member

I hope that he meant for you to give an explanation of why time travel is impossible. :eek: If he believes in that stuff, he has no right being a teacher.

8. Dec 12, 2005 #7

cronxeh

Gold Member

I second this post exactly. Loved the movie, one of my all time favorites along side with 5th element, but there is [practically] no science in it

9. Dec 12, 2005 #8

Its not just practically devoid of science, it really is devoid of science.

10. Dec 12, 2005 #9
    The number 88, if you rotate it 90 degrees you get [tex]\begin{array}{cc}\infty\\\infty\end{array}[/tex] Throw on some parenthesis and you have [tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}\infty\\\infty\end{array}\right)[/tex] = undefined, the speed in which you need to reach in order to go back to the future.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2005
  11. Dec 12, 2005 #10

Danger

Gold Member

Brilliant!

12. Dec 12, 2005 #11
    Not drink six beers at the same time?
    Brilliant!

13. Dec 12, 2005 #12
    what the hell lol

14. Dec 12, 2005 #13

cronxeh

Gold Member

I especially loved the part when Doc had that look of horror on his face when he discovered that the tank had no gas in it - while they were in 1885 :biggrin:

The words that followed will be etched into the memory of anyone majoring in Chemical Engineering today!

Besides in first part there is a huge speaker with amps and subs, and then there is the refrigerator in third part, and many cool gadgets in 2nd part! (Keep in mind this was 1989!!) - 4 years before any practical color video conferencing was even invented!

Frankly, imho, BTTF is the best scifi movie ever made to date. I thought the characters were very well developed and particularly the Doc's character is amazing

15. Dec 12, 2005 #14

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I think what your teacher wants you to look at are the paradoxes that could ensue from time travel. At least that I remember from the movie was the prospect that Marty would become involved with his own mother and keep her from ever getting with his father. Since this would result in his never being born, he could never have gone back to do it in the first place. Doc Brown warns him about these things.

This is strictly philosophical, though. There is nothing scientific about rationally contemplating paradoxes.

16. Dec 12, 2005 #15

cronxeh

Gold Member

There is no scientific theory that states that time travel is impossible

17. Dec 12, 2005 #16

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

"Do you really think I should swear?"

"Yes, damnit George, swear."

My friends and I had a contest in school to see who could go to that movie the most times. We lost count. I know that movie forwards and backwards.

18. Dec 12, 2005 #17
  19. Dec 12, 2005 #18

cronxeh

Gold Member

You guys will think this is crazy but I was actually seriously considering getting a used DeLorean and adding electroluminiscent strips on side that would be triggered at 88 mph+ :biggrin:

and then I wanted to put that same concept on a motorcycle.. and Now im thinking which one to go with.. car vs motorcycle

20. Dec 12, 2005 #19
    I think you could get all the chicks in this car Fred. :cool: You would be the talk of the town anywhere you parked this bad boy. View attachment 5857 There was one like this on ebay a while back. It was an exact replica with working flux capacitor and computer to enter in destination time and arrival time! I was looking for that car on ebay and look what I found!! http://www.bttf.com/forums/ :surprised :surprised :surprised :surprised This movie has a cult following. I think all your anwsers will be found in that site.......sad

Last edited: Dec 26, 2005
  21. Dec 13, 2005 #20

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Whoa. That me be a little more hard core than I ever will be. My friends and I, like most guys, simply like quoting lines. Did you ever find a Delorean on e-bay?

BTW...John Delorean is a fellow alma matter of my college. A little notoriety to start the day.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?