Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Back Up Options

1. Feb 5, 2008 #1

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I figured I would look to you guys to see what is the latest and greatest for backing up all of one's data.

I have been pointed to Norton Ghost, however, I am a bit leery of using anything Norton other than virus scan. I have not had good luck with Norton's stuff playing nice.

What are all of you guys using? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2008 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I use Fileback. It's a bit tricky, but it works on simple systems. I think there was one case where we have to uninstall Fileback (or deactiviate it) when installing or running certain Apps.

I use it in synchronized mode to backup project files.

We did use DriveImage from PowerQuest, which was purchased by Symantec (Norton) and apparently DI is the basis of Ghost 9.

4. Feb 6, 2008 #3

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Do you remember any issues with DI? My worry is that Norton blows up it's products with a bunch of useless things and then there are compatibility issues.

I must say that the way Ghost sounds is rather appealing. I just can't get by my reservations.

Thanks Astro.

5. Feb 6, 2008 #4

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

DI worked very well, and with Partition Magic, we cloned our OS drives to keep as a backup. That doesn't work with XP because of the authentication process.

I wish companies like Symantec/Norton would quit mucking up good products. :grumpy:

6. Feb 6, 2008 #5
    How about Partimage? It's part of the SystemRescue LiveCD, which is open source and free.

7. Feb 6, 2008 #6

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Snapshot (www.drivesnapshot.de) is my current favourite Ghost/etc replacement.
    It's very small, needs no install, can backup a live system, restore from a bootdisk and can mount the backup set to extract files.
    It's also very cheap and there is a free time limited demo.

8. Feb 7, 2008 #7
    I use Acronis True Image for a monthly backup of the system and all files to a partition on a second hard drive and to CDs. During the month I use Second Copy to automatically backup (to another partition on that second hard drive) any changes to files (work) I would not want to lose. I also make a True Image backup of everything before I install a new program, in case the new program should prove to be harmful to the system.

Restoring from the latest image and then from Second Copy gives everything up to the last file change. There have been several occasions where I had to make restores this way. It has never let me down.

9. Feb 10, 2008 #8

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Cool. Thanks guys. I have some reading to do.

10. Feb 10, 2008 #9
    Fred, I would take a look at Norton Ghost. I've used it many times and the recent versions are really easy and complete.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?