1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Back ups for a physics major

1. Oct 31, 2014 #1
    At the moment, I'm a second year phyics/astronomy major, along with a math minor. And like most people majoring in STEM fields, I hope to get into a PhD program in a few years or so (I don't exactly know what to go into specifically, I have an interest in a couple of somewhat specific fields of physics, but I digress), however, I know that the majority of physics majors usually end up not going for a PhD, and end up just settling for a master's, or rarely, undergraduate.So can I make a living just from a master's, or even an undergraduate degree? What kinds of jobs could I expect if I do (I know considering my majors, the odds of stopping at a bachelor's and getting a good job are astronomical, but I still am curious)? If I go for a master's, what major would really increase my value in the job market? My gpa and the classes I'm taking at the moment are, more or less, what's to be expected of a physics major, but I still would like to know about all the safety nets available.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2014 #2
    You can make a living with no degree at all.

If you get a masters in physics the job outlook is not much better than any ol' BS degree. But many physics grads get masters in specialized non-physics areas that do have better prospects than a physics BS or MS. The most popular masters degree of my undergrad class was in education. Others found themselves doing a variety of things like computer programming, truck driving, the armed forces, working at a bar, etc. I studied engineering for a bit after studying physics and got a job as a engineer in the semiconductor industry.

If the PhD doesn't work out consider a non-physics degree for specialization and specific career applicable skills.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook