How to Calculate Average Net Force on a Truck with Changing Velocity

• Thread starter Kimorto
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing a physics problem involving a truck traveling at a constant speed and then decelerating. The question asks for the magnitude of the average net force acting on the truck during the deceleration. The answer is 626 N, but there is some disagreement on the correct answer. The correct approach involves using the equation F = dp/dt = m(v2 - v1)/t, with the correct conversion from km/h to m/s.
Kimorto
Thanx for everyone who has helped so far.
(This is not homework, I'm doing problems to study for my final that is in less than 3 hours).
This next question I'm having a hard time with is...

A 2150-kg truck is traveling along a straight,level road at a constant speed of 55.0km/h (15.8m/s) when the driver removes his foot from the accelerator. After 21.0 seconds, the truck's speed is 33.0 km/h (9.2m/s). What is the magnitude of the average net force acting on the truck during the 21.0 second interval?

The answer is 626 N but I have no idea on how to get to it.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is one dimensional movement along a straight line...

[tex]v_f = v_i - a * t[/tex]. where i and f denote initian and final...

just try it and multiply with m to find the force...

regards
marlon

Marlon, that doesn't seem right, I keep getting 675 and the answer says its 626 (multiple choice question, closest answer is 626, and teacher said answer is 626)

yes, i see your point though i am quite certain of this...

regards
marlon...

perhaps someone else can help...

F = dp/dt = m(v_2 - v_1)/ t = 2150kg(9.2m/s - 15.8m/s)/21s ~ 675

675 has to be right. Your book/teacher is wrong :P

you have your conversions wrong.. 55 km/h is 15.3 m/s not 15.8 m/s. The rest is correct.

1. What is the meaning of "Back with more questions"?

"Back with more questions" is a phrase commonly used to express that someone has returned with additional questions or inquiries on a particular topic. It implies that the individual is seeking further information or clarification on a previous discussion or topic.

2. When is it appropriate to say "Back with more questions"?

This phrase is typically used in a conversation or communication setting, when someone has already asked a series of questions but still has more to ask. It can also be used in a formal setting, such as during a research presentation or conference, when the audience is invited to ask follow-up questions.

3. Is "Back with more questions" a polite way to ask for more information?

Yes, using this phrase can be seen as polite and respectful, as it acknowledges that the person has already provided helpful information but the questioner still has a need for more. It also shows that the questioner values the person's knowledge and expertise.

4. How can I use "Back with more questions" effectively in a conversation?

To use this phrase effectively, it is important to be genuine and sincere in your delivery. You can also use it as a way to show your interest and engagement in the conversation, rather than simply asking questions for the sake of it. Additionally, be sure to give the person enough time to answer your questions and actively listen to their responses.

5. Are there any other phrases similar to "Back with more questions" that I can use?

Yes, there are other phrases that convey a similar meaning, such as "I have a follow-up question" or "I still have some questions about this topic." It is important to choose a phrase that feels natural and appropriate for the conversation and to use it respectfully and effectively.