Calculating the Average Throw in Backgammon: A Math Problem | Homework Statement

• Thread starter Niles
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about finding the average of a throw in backgammon with two dice. The person asking the question has used a formula to calculate the average and got 8.17, but is unsure if it is correct. The other person confirms that the answer is correct and explains the reasoning behind it. The conversation ends with a summary of the solution.
Niles

Homework Statement

Hi

I am trying to find the average of a throw in backgammon with two dice. Recall that two dice with the same amount of eyes (is that how one say it in English?) count double. What I have is

[tex]
\frac{{2 \cdot 3 + 3 \cdot 4 + 4 \cdot 5 + 4 \cdot 6 + 6 \cdot 7 + 5 \cdot 8 + 4 \cdot 9 + 2 \cdot 10 + 2 \cdot 11 + 1 \cdot 16 + 1 \cdot 20 + 1 \cdot 24}}{{36}}
[/tex]

The integer to the right of the multiplication-sign is the throw, and the integer to the left is the different ways of achieving it. I get 8.17

Can you confirm my answer? It seems high :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org

Niles said:

Homework Statement

Hi

I am trying to find the average of a throw in backgammon with two dice. Recall that two dice with the same amount of eyes (is that how one say it in English?) count double. What I have is

[tex]
\frac{{2 \cdot 3 + 3 \cdot 4 + 4 \cdot 5 + 4 \cdot 6 + 6 \cdot 7 + 5 \cdot 8 + 4 \cdot 9 + 2 \cdot 10 + 2 \cdot 11 + 1 \cdot 16 + 1 \cdot 20 + 1 \cdot 24}}{{36}}
[/tex]

The integer to the right of the multiplication-sign is the throw, and the integer to the left is the different ways of achieving it. I get 8.17

Can you confirm my answer? It seems high :confused:

Well...I think you probably didn't copy your counts right, because your answer is right, but doesn't equal what you wrote above. (It's missing a 12).

But think of it this way. If you just threw two dice and took the average, it would be 7, right? So now 1/6 of the time, you get twice as much. So your new average should be 7 + (1/6)7 = 8.17.

1. What is the "Backgammon math problem"?

The "Backgammon math problem" is a mathematical problem that involves calculating the probability of winning a game of backgammon based on the position of the pieces on the board. It was first proposed by mathematician Oswald Jacoby in the 1970s.

2. How is the probability of winning in backgammon calculated?

The probability of winning in backgammon is calculated by considering the possible moves that can be made by both players, and then using mathematical models such as Markov chains and Monte Carlo simulations to determine the most likely outcome of the game.

3. What factors affect the probability of winning in backgammon?

The probability of winning in backgammon is affected by various factors such as the position of the pieces on the board, the skill level of the players, and the luck of the dice rolls. The more favorable a player's position and the better their decision-making, the higher their chances of winning.

4. Can the "Backgammon math problem" be solved exactly?

No, the "Backgammon math problem" cannot be solved exactly due to the complex nature of the game and the numerous variables involved. However, it can be approximated using mathematical models and simulations to provide a close estimate of the probability of winning.

5. How is the "Backgammon math problem" relevant to real-life situations?

The "Backgammon math problem" has applications in various fields such as game theory, probability theory, and artificial intelligence. It can also be used to analyze and improve decision-making skills in backgammon players and can provide insights into the strategies and tactics used in the game.