Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Background gamma radiation

1. Mar 26, 2017 #1
    I'm trying to find out how much gamma-radiation the average human is exposed too from background radiation. But all I can find are numbers describing the total background radiation, not just the gamma radiation alone. Does anyone know where I can find this information?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2017 #2

Deneen2000

Gold Member

Attached Files:

4. Mar 26, 2017 #3

Fervent Freyja

Gold Member

World nuclear association published that early exposure background gamma radiation is averaged at 600 μSv, with a range of 100-1000 μSv per person. See the chart in this link.

5. Mar 27, 2017 #4
    Thank you!

6. Mar 27, 2017 #5
  7. Mar 27, 2017 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Forget that study.
    In other words, zero is still possible. Given the large number of possible cancer types, possible population groups, and types of radiation you can study (and they did look at other cancer types and other types of radiation), it would be surprising if you cannot find any "significant" effect by chance. And even if it would be highly significant (it is not), it still doesn't allow separating the effect of gamma radiation and other possible causes of cancer.
    They don't link to a scientific paper, but simply based on the article, the study does not demonstrate a reliable link between anything.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted