Background radiation on Earth quantified?

In summary: Thank you for the links Dr. Greenman, they do give a very good breakdown of natural sources. However they only provide doses, whereas I am looking for actual flux rates (#particles s^-1 cm^-2) and energies. They do look like a good contact though and I will see if they can help me out!Thank you for the links Dr. Greenman, they do give a very good breakdown of natural sources. However they only provide doses, whereas I am looking for actual flux rates (#particles s^-1 cm^-2) and energies. They do look like a good contact though and I will see if they can help me out!
Causality
Hello all, a new user here. I am in need of some very basic information that seems to be impossible to find. I need to know the typical background radiation on the Earth's surface (cosmic, solar, natural, manmade), particularly flux rates and energy. The closest I have come is a flux rate for neutrons with no energy information given, and also dose rates which I do not need.

If anyone can provide a link or point me to a text with this information, that would be great! :biggrin:

Engineering news on Phys.org
Causality said:
Hello all, a new user here. I am in need of some very basic information that seems to be impossible to find. I need to know the typical background radiation on the Earth's surface (cosmic, solar, natural, manmade), particularly flux rates and energy. The closest I have come is a flux rate for neutrons with no energy information given, and also dose rates which I do not need.

If anyone can provide a link or point me to a text with this information, that would be great! :biggrin:

Causality,

How about:

http://www.umich.edu/~radinfo/introduction/radrus.htm

and

http://www.umich.edu/~radinfo/introduction/

The Health Physics Society may help get you started.

Dr. Gregory Greenman
Physicist

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the links Dr. Greenman, they do give a very good breakdown of natural sources. However they only provide doses, whereas I am looking for actual flux rates (#particles s^-1 cm^-2) and energies. They do look like a good contact though and I will see if they can help me out!

Causality said:
Thank you for the links Dr. Greenman, they do give a very good breakdown of natural sources. However they only provide doses, whereas I am looking for actual flux rates (#particles s^-1 cm^-2) and energies. They do look like a good contact though and I will see if they can help me out!

Causality,

How about from the Pierre Auger Observatory:

http://www.auger.org/questions.html#how_many

or courtesy of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center:

http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/features/topics/snr_group/cosmic_rays.html

http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/features/topics/snr_group/cr-knee.html

Dr. Gregory Greenman
Physicist

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is background radiation?

Background radiation refers to the low levels of ionizing radiation that exist in the environment from natural and artificial sources. These sources include cosmic rays, radioactive elements in soil and rocks, and man-made sources such as nuclear power plants.

2. How is background radiation measured?

Background radiation is measured in units called millisieverts (mSv) or microsieverts (μSv). A millisievert is equal to 1000 microsieverts. Scientists use specialized equipment like dosimeters and Geiger counters to measure the amount of radiation in a given area.

3. What is the average amount of background radiation on Earth?

The average amount of background radiation on Earth is around 2.4 millisieverts per year. However, this can vary depending on location, altitude, and other factors. For example, people living at higher altitudes are exposed to more background radiation due to increased cosmic ray exposure.

4. Is background radiation harmful?

Low levels of background radiation are generally not harmful to human health. In fact, we are exposed to small amounts of radiation every day from natural sources. However, high levels of exposure can be dangerous and increase the risk of health problems such as cancer. It is important to monitor and regulate exposure to radiation to ensure it stays at safe levels.

5. How can we protect ourselves from background radiation?

There are a few ways to protect ourselves from background radiation. One way is to limit exposure to man-made sources, such as avoiding unnecessary medical procedures that involve radiation. Another way is to use shielding, such as lead aprons or concrete walls, to block out radiation. It is also important to follow safety protocols and regulations when working with radioactive materials.