Solved: Calculate Force F to Lift 15kg Backpack 6.9m Apart

• Thread starter itryphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Line
In summary, the formula for calculating force is F = m x a, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration. To calculate the force required to lift a 15kg backpack, you will need to know the acceleration due to gravity, which is approximately 9.8 m/s². Then, you can use the formula F = m x a to find the force, which in this case is approximately 147 N. The distance between the backpack and the lifting point is 6.9 meters. The unit of measurement for force is the Newton (N), which is equivalent to 1 kilogram-meter per second squared (kg·m/s²). Calculating the force required to lift the backpack is important
itryphysics

Homework Statement

The two trees in the figure are 6.9m apart. A back-packer is trying to lift his pack out of the reach of bears. (a)Calculate the magnitude of the force F that he must exert downward to hold a 15 kg- backpack so that the rope sags at its midpoint by 1.5m . (b)Calculate the magnitude of the force that he must exert downward to hold a 15 kg- backpack so that the rope sags at its midpoint by 0.16m .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Distance between the trees =6.6 m

Half of distance between the trees = b =6.9/2= 3.45 m

sag at mid point = a = 1.5 m

Consider the vertical right anglled triangle with ' b ' as base, ' a ' as height and the half portion of rope as hypotenues ' h '

The hypotenues = h = sq rt [ b^2 + a^2 ] ,

h = sq rt [ 3.45^2 +1.5^2 ]

h =3.762 m

Now the hypotenues ( h = 3.762 m ) represents force Fand side 'a' represents weight 98 N

F/h =(15kg*9.8)/a

F /3.762 =147 /1.5 m

F =368.7 N

This is answer is not right. I don't know what I am doing wrong :S Please guide me

Physics news on Phys.org
itryphysics said:

Homework Statement

The two trees in the figure are 6.9m apart. A back-packer is trying to lift his pack out of the reach of bears. (a)Calculate the magnitude of the force F that he must exert downward to hold a 15 kg- backpack so that the rope sags at its midpoint by 1.5m . (b)Calculate the magnitude of the force that he must exert downward to hold a 15 kg- backpack so that the rope sags at its midpoint by 0.16m .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Distance between the trees =6.6 m

Half of distance between the trees = b =6.9/2= 3.45 m

sag at mid point = a = 1.5 m

Consider the vertical right anglled triangle with ' b ' as base, ' a ' as height and the half portion of rope as hypotenues ' h '

The hypotenues = h = sq rt [ b^2 + a^2 ] ,

h = sq rt [ 3.45^2 +1.5^2 ]

h =3.762 m
So far, so good.
itryphysics said:
Now the hypotenues ( h = 3.762 m ) represents force Fand side 'a' represents weight 98 N
The weight is wrong. The mass of the pack is 15 kg, so its weight is 15 * 9.8 = 147 N. Your later work seems to use the right value.
itryphysics said:
F/h =(15kg*9.8)/a

F /3.762 =147 /1.5 m

F =368.7 N

This is answer is not right. I don't know what I am doing wrong :S Please guide me
I get the same answer you did. My reasoning is that the right triangle has sides 1.5 m and 3.45 m. and hypotenuse ~3.76m. The length of the short leg of the triangle has to be in the same ratio to the downward force as the hypotenuse length is to the force along the rope. IOW 1.5/15 = 3.76/F, or F = 37.6 (in kg) (I'm not really dealing with forces just yet, just mass. Converting the number I got for F to a force, I multiplied by 9.8, and got 368.7 N (rounded).

You said you didn't think this was correct. What's the answer you believe is correct?

What is the formula for calculating force?

The formula for calculating force is F = m x a, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

How do I calculate the force required to lift a 15kg backpack?

To calculate the force required to lift a 15kg backpack, you will need to know the acceleration due to gravity, which is approximately 9.8 m/s². Then, you can use the formula F = m x a to find the force. In this case, the force required would be approximately 147 N.

What is the distance between the backpack and the lifting point?

The distance between the backpack and the lifting point is 6.9 meters. This is the vertical distance that the backpack needs to be lifted.

What is the unit of measurement for force?

The unit of measurement for force is the Newton (N). This is a derived unit in the International System of Units (SI) and is equivalent to 1 kilogram-meter per second squared (kg·m/s²).

Why do I need to calculate the force to lift the backpack?

Calculating the force required to lift the backpack is important in order to ensure that you have enough strength to lift it safely. It also allows you to determine the amount of work that will be required to lift the backpack to the desired height.