Backscatter X-rays for airport screening

In summary, airports are considering implementing new backscatter X-ray machines for passenger screening, which have the ability to see through clothes but reflect off metal and skin, leaving travelers essentially naked in view of the monitor. Many are concerned about the violation of privacy and the potential health risks from accumulated radiation dosage. However, if the machines meet health standards, they could be a faster and more reliable alternative to current methods of screening.

Do you agree with using backscatter airport x-rays?

• Yes, security is worth public nudity

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Yes, as long as only the screener sees the screen

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • No, I don't want anyone to see me naked

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Airports are thinking about installing new backscatter X-ray machines for screening passengers (http://www.campaignfortruth.com/Eclub/210703/CTM-airportxray.htm

These screeners see through clothes, but bounce off metal and skin, leaving the traveller essentially naked to the person monitoring the screen. Hopefully, the monitor will be in a booth or at least blocked from the view of the public.

Do you see this as a violation of your privacy or more like being seen naked by a doctor?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Violation of privacy, definitely; the situation with the doctor is not really comparable. Plus, what is the radiation dose from this? How much accumulated dosage would frequent flyers pick up in a year? What about our constitutional right to be "secure in our persons"? Doesn't that mean the government agrees not to frisk us if it will harm us? At least without prior cause?

Yeah, the health risk might be my only concern. The dose is supposed to be similar to the amount received from sunshine, but the frequencies are different, meaning the effects probably aren't identical.

If they meet health standards, though, I'd find them acceptable. They're faster and more reliable than the current close inspection methods like pat downs or the hand-held wands.

The possible radiation dose was the only thing that bothered me about the idea. Otherwise I don't see what the big deal is. Really, just how naked is someone going to look that way?

What is backscatter X-ray technology?

Backscatter X-ray technology is a type of security scanning technique that uses low-intensity X-rays to produce two-dimensional images of the human body. These images are used for airport screening to detect any potential hidden objects or weapons.

How does backscatter X-ray technology work?

Backscatter X-rays use a small dose of radiation to penetrate through clothing and create an image of the body's surface. The technology works by measuring the amount of radiation that is reflected back from the body. Objects with high atomic numbers, such as metals, will reflect more radiation and appear as dark spots on the image, while low atomic number objects, like human tissue, will reflect less radiation and appear as light spots.

Is backscatter X-ray technology safe?

The safety of backscatter X-ray technology has been a topic of debate. The amount of radiation used in this technology is extremely low and is considered safe for the general public. However, some experts have raised concerns about the potential long-term effects of repeated exposure to this type of radiation. Strict safety protocols are in place to ensure that the radiation levels are well below the established safety limits.

What are the advantages of backscatter X-ray technology for airport screening?

Backscatter X-ray technology has several advantages over traditional metal detectors. It can detect both metallic and non-metallic objects, which makes it harder for potential threats to go undetected. The images produced by this technology are also more detailed, providing a clearer view of the objects hidden under clothing. This technology is also faster and less invasive compared to pat-down searches.

Are there any privacy concerns with backscatter X-ray technology?

Privacy concerns have been raised regarding backscatter X-ray technology due to the detailed images it produces. However, the technology is designed to blur facial features and private body parts, making it difficult to identify individuals. Additionally, the images are only viewed by trained security personnel and are not stored or shared. Strict privacy protocols are in place to protect the rights of individuals undergoing airport screening.

Back