Math Equation for Backward Going Curve?

• B
  • Thread starter pairofstrings
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curve
In summary, a piecewise-defined function is a function that is defined by different formulas or functions for different intervals of its domain. The domain of a function is the set of all possible input values. In the given example, the domain of x is divided into three parts, with x>0 being one of them. Each part of the domain has a different formula or function defining the output for that interval.
pairofstrings
TL;DR Summary
I have a curve that goes backwards.
Hello.
I have a curve, I want to write mathematical statements that describes all the features of the curve. For example: how do I write math statement that describes its curvature...
Is it possible to write equation for curves that goes backwards?
Thanks.

Attachments

• bcurve.png
    bcurve.png
    563 bytes · Views: 111
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Its not a function. You need to break it up into two distinct functions. From there you can compute what you need excluding the endpoints of the functions.

Since there are values of ##x## that have two values of ##y##, and values of ##y## that have two values of ##x##, it isn't a function. But it is a curve, so you can write an equation: ##f\, : \,[0,1]\longrightarrow \mathbb{R}^2\, , \,f(t)=(x(t),y(t))## that maps the way you go along the curve: ##t=0## at the beginning and ##t=1## at the end of the path. If it has no ends, then we need not an interval but the real axis for ##t## instead.

Crucial in any case is, that you have to describe the points of your plot somehow. Or did you only draw a curve?

pairofstrings said:
Summary:: I have a curve that goes backwards.

Hello.
I have a curve, I want to write mathematical statements that describes all the features of the curve. For example: how do I write math statement that describes its curvature...
Is it possible to write equation for curves that goes backwards?
Thanks.
You need to parameterise the curve, where ##x(u)## and ##y(u)## are functions of a parameter ##u##.

PS or ##t## would do just as well as the parameter!

For this example, it might be possible to transform to an axis system where the curve is a parabola.
Some data points would be needed, like the point where it crosses the x-axis. I can not be more specific off the top of my head.

any quadraic curve can be represented in the form ##ax^2+by^2+cx+dy+f=0##.

Likes FactChecker
fresh_42 said:
Crucial in any case is, that you have to describe the points of your plot somehow. Or did you only draw a curve?
Can you please give me an example that could have backward going curve?

Thanks..

pairofstrings said:
Can you please give me an example that could have backward going curve?

Thanks..
A simple example is ##y = 1, x = -t##, where ##t \in [0, 1]##.

Another example is an anticlockwise circular path: ##x = \cos t, y = \sin t##

1625400739951.png

Implementing what I mentioned earlier...

Using someone's Desmos file (found by Googling) https://www.desmos.com/calculator/cahqdxeshd
for tuning a Bezier curve [see also https://pomax.github.io/bezierinfo/ ], I took your plot and manually fitted your curve using the 4 control points.
See https://www.desmos.com/calculator/nobtxod6mk

[itex]
\begin{align*}
C_{simple}
&=\left(\left(
-x_{0}+3x_{1}-3x_{2}+x_{3}\right)t^{3}+\left(3x_{0}-6x_{1}+3x_{2}\right)t^{2}+\left(-3x_{0}+3x_{1}\right)t+x_{0},
\right.
\\
&\qquad\left.
\left(
-y_{0}+3y_{1}-3y_{2}+y_{3}\right)t^{3}+\left(3y_{0}-6y_{1}+3y_{2}\right)t^{2}+\left(-3y_{0}+3y_{1}\right)t+y_{0}\right)
\end{align*}
[/itex]
where [itex](x_0,y_0)=(-0.64,0.37) [/itex], etc...

Now you can use this parametrized curve in
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curvature#In_terms_of_a_general_parametrization
to find its curvature function,
which can be evaluated at any value of t.

Last edited:
Likes DaveE, Delta2 and PeroK
jedishrfu said:
Its not a function. You need to break it up into two distinct functions. From there you can compute what you need excluding the endpoints of the functions.
There is a need is to have two distinct functions, so, these functions are going to be (called) piecewise-defined functions?

Last edited:
pairofstrings said:
There is a need is to have two distinct functions, so, these functions are going to be (called) piecewise-defined functions?
No. A piecewise-defined function can have different formulas on different parts of its domain, but it can't have two or more function values for a given input value.

Mark44 said:
A piecewise-defined function can have different formulas on different parts of its domain, but it can't have two or more function values for a given input value.
Can you please give me an example?
Thanks.

pairofstrings said:
Can you please give me an example?
You can easily look up many examples on your own. Just do a search for "piecewise-defined function."

Likes jedishrfu
"Piecewise functions are defined by different functions throughout the different intervals of the domain."
What is meaning of "domain" in the above statement?
I am confused between intervals and domain.

"A piecewise function is a function that is defined by different formulas or functions for each given interval. It’s also in the name: piece. The function is defined by pieces of functions for each part of the domain."
What is the meaning of "..each part of the domain"?

Is it this that is being referred to:
piecewise.jpg

From the above piecewise-defined function:
##2x## is a function ##f(x)##, and "for ##x > 0##" is a part of the domain?

Last edited:
In the above example, the domain of x for the purposes of this piecewise function is divided into three parts and x>0 is one of them.

pairofstrings said:
##2x## is a function ##f(x)##, and "for ##x > 0##" is a part of the domain?
##x > 0## is the domain of the function ##2x## in this example. It is part of the domain of ##f(x)##, whose domain also includes ##x = 0## and ##x < 0##. ##2x## is not a function of ##f## (##2x## is a function of ##x##); I don't understand why they said that.

What is a "backward going curve" in math?

A backward going curve is a mathematical curve that appears to be moving in the opposite direction of the traditional forward direction. This can be seen in graphs or equations where the curve appears to be moving from right to left instead of left to right.

How do you write an equation for a backward going curve?

To write an equation for a backward going curve, you would use the same principles as writing an equation for a traditional forward going curve. However, the direction of the curve would be reversed. For example, instead of writing y = mx + b, you would write y = -mx + b to create a backward going line.

What are some real-life examples of backward going curves?

Some real-life examples of backward going curves include the motion of a pendulum, the movement of a ball bouncing back and forth between two walls, and the graph of a decaying exponential function.

How do you graph a backward going curve?

To graph a backward going curve, you would plot points on a graph, just as you would for a traditional forward going curve. However, the direction of the curve would be reversed, so the points would be plotted from right to left instead of left to right.

What are some strategies for solving math equations involving backward going curves?

Some strategies for solving math equations involving backward going curves include rewriting the equation in a traditional forward going form, using inverse operations to isolate the variable, and checking your work by graphing the equation to ensure the curve is moving in the correct direction.