Main Question or Discussion Point
If I place a quart jar of water that has been tested positive for bacteria into a 1000w microwave, how long will it take to kill 100% of the bacteria.
Thank you, Dell
Thank you, Dell
There is a small enough amount of water in the cloth that the mw will boil it off quite quickly. Not the same as a containerful.I was under the impression that bacteria (a majority) would be killed by microwaves as well. I often see kitchen tips that include throwing your washcloth in the microwave after washing dishes for about 45 seconds to kill bacteria on the cloth. It does help with the smell.
You're also not going to eat the cloth, so if a few bacteria survive, you don't have to worry so much about it as long as you rinse the dishes you wash with that cloth thoroughly. Ian's explanation should make it clear why this is more of a concern for something that will be consumed, or if someone desires a completely sterile (killing 100% of the bacteria) solution.There is a small enough amount of water in the cloth that the mw will boil it off quite quickly. Not the same as a containerful.
Welcome to PhysicsForums!! So you're just a baby boomer . Many of us on here on PF are of the same generation.I am 60 years old and I have bacteria in my water....
Perhaps you are thinking microwaves damage the bacteria directly.dellbertt said:I was under the impression microwaves killed bacteria without needing to boil.
Please reread the references (underlined text) listed in my last post. Microwaves don't blast anything. They induce heating by vibration of the molecules. Your http://www.romill.cz/index.php?lang=eng&show_dir=36 [Broken] also acknowledges the thermal effect.It is possible to use high energy microwave pulses to sterilise without heating and this is done commercially for packaged foods
Please include references (weblinks are fine) to substantiate your thoughts.Panda said:It is possible to use high energy microwave pulses to sterilise without heating and this is done commercially for packaged foods.
Using High Peak pulsed (*microwave) power causes little heating of the medium but still effectively kills off bacteria.