1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bad beat

1. Mar 13, 2008 #1
    I recently got beat in playing poker in the worst way that I have ever seen before. I was playing on a poker site online (pokerstars) and got beat with four of a kind to a higher four of a kind. The game was texas hold'em. For those of you who don't know texas hold'em, that means you get dealt 2 hole cards and combine the 2 hole cards with 5 community cards to make your best 5 card hand. As you all probably know there are 52 cards in the deck with 4 different suits and 13 different rankings for each suit. Could someone please tell me the odds of losing with 4 of a kind, four 3's to be exact, in the game of texas hold'em.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2008 #2
    What beats 4-3's in Texas Hold Em'?

4-anything higher
    flush
    royal flush
    full house

Does a high enough two pair beat four threes?

4. Mar 13, 2008 #3
    4 of anything higher beats 4 3's.

not that might not need to know but the hands go as follows

royal flush-10JQKA of one suit
    striaght flush-5 cards in sequential order of same suit
    4 of a kind-2222,3333,.....AAAA- AAAA being highest
    full house-55522 three of a kind with a pair
    three of a kind-QQQ
    2 pair-33JJ
    1 pair-AA
    high card

card rankings-A K Q J 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2
    suits-clubs diamonds hearts spades

5. Mar 14, 2008 #4
  6. Mar 14, 2008 #5

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Let's assume you hold 33 and on the board is 33XYZ... your opponent holds AB. So we need to find the probability that 4 out of {A,B,X,Y,Z} are equal. This would be
    (47/47) * (3/46) * (2/45) * (1/44) * 5C4 ~= 1/3036. There will need to be a slight correction since four 2's lose to four 3's.

Now, let's assume you hold 33 and the board is 33XXY and X > 3. We need to find the probability your opponent holds XX. This would be (2/47) * (1/46) ~= 1/1081.

Now let's assume you hold 33 and the board is 33XXX and X > 3. We need to find the probability your opponent holds XY. This would be ~= 1 / 23.

So it all depends on what you define as your given variables.

Maybe some mistakes here, my probability is a little rusty.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2008
  7. Mar 14, 2008 #6

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Using Monte Carlo simulations with the program "pokerstove" http://www.pokerstove.com/download/ [Broken]

I found the following probabilities

Probability of winning given that you hold 33 and the board is 33XYZ -> 99.955%
    Probability of winning given that you hold 33 and the board is 33XXY -> 99.710%
    Probability of winning given that you hold 33 and the board is 33XXX -> 95.556%
    Probability of winning given that you hold 3X and the board is 333YY -> 99.899%

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2017
  8. Mar 14, 2008 #7

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What was the board when you played?

9. Mar 14, 2008 #8

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Note also that the calculated probabilities are valid for being against one opponent and you should (roughly) multiply the probability by itself N times where N is the number of opponents in the hand.

10. Mar 15, 2008 #9
    the board was AA333. I, of course, was holding Q3. So the odds of him flopping a quads are incredible, let alone me catching runner runner 33 for my quads. I have literally played millions of hands and have never seen that before in texas hold'em. Of course in other games like 5 card draw with wilds and so forth I have seen quads up against quads. I play poker maybe 5 days a week sometimes putting 5-12 hrs in a single session and I get quads maybe about once or twice a month. So you could imagine my disbelief when the guy flipped over quads to my quads. The worst part about it was that I was a big blind,ie. forced bet,
    so i had no choice but to play my hand. The guy didn't raise before the board cards were put out; I was doomed no matter what lol. (quads= four of a kind)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2008
  11. Mar 15, 2008 #10

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You had 1 chance in 1 thousand to lose that hand.

I hope that wasn't no limit hold'em! :P

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook