Evaluating $\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{A^2}{(x^2+a^2)^2} dx$ - Chen

• Thread starter Chen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dx
In summary: I tried integrating by parts and using the complex presentation of arctan to no avail. Any ideas?I don't believe so, no.
Chen
Anyone has any idea how I could go about evaluating this one?

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{A^2}{(x^2+a^2)^2} dx[/tex]

(I have the final answer, I need a method of solution though.)

Thanks,
Chen

Physics news on Phys.org
It's possibe to do it by just finding the antiderivative (it'll clearly involve an arctan) but thanks to the interval you're integrating over, it's also possible to due it using complex analysis. Have you seen residue calculation?

I don't believe so, no.

I calculated the antiderivative in Mathematica and it's just ugly... but how can I go about finding it?

Thanks. :)

Chen said:
I don't believe so, no.
Too bad, it makes it *a lot* easier :smile:

Chen said:
I calculated the antiderivative in Mathematica and it's just ugly... but how can I go about finding it?
Thanks. :)
Take a look at https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=103863". In the 4th post, there are 4 cases - yours is case 4. An example can be found at the bottom of that post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahh, great. Thanks! :)

No problem, give a shout if it doesn't work out.

TD said:
Too bad, it makes it *a lot* easier :smile:

Take a look at https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=103863". In the 4th post, there are 4 cases - yours is case 4. An example can be found at the bottom of that post.

Well, I don't think that's the case. In that post 'x' is also in numerator which makes it quite easy to be solved with substitution, here in numerator there is just constant. I think the approach will have to be slightly different..

Case 4 is the general case where this falls under (due to the denominator), the coefficient of x in the numerator is just zero.
But of course, that will influence the rest of the method a bit, it'll start like this (for example):

[tex]
\int {\frac{{A^2 }}
{{\left( {x^2 + a^2 } \right)^2 }}dx} \mathop \to \limits_{dx = adt}^{x = at} \int {\frac{{aA^2 }}
{{\left( {a^2 t^2 + a^2 } \right)^2 }}dt} = \int {\frac{{aA^2 }}
{{\left( {a^2 \left( {t^2 + 1^2 } \right)} \right)^2 }}dt} = \frac{{A^2 }}
{{a^3 }}\int {\frac{1}
{{\left( {t^2 + 1} \right)^2 }}dt}
[/tex]

Actually, it worked out perfectly. And wasn't *too* complicated... ;-)

Anyway, now a different problem - I need to find the inverse Fourier transform of the function:

[tex]\frac{A}{x^2+a^2}[/tex]

I tried integrating by parts and using the complex presentation of arctan to no avail. Any ideas?

TD said:
Case 4 is the general case where this falls under (due to the denominator), the coefficient of x in the numerator is just zero.
But of course, that will influence the rest of the method a bit, it'll start like this (for example):

[tex]
\int {\frac{{A^2 }}
{{\left( {x^2 + a^2 } \right)^2 }}dx} \mathop \to \limits_{dx = adt}^{x = at} \int {\frac{{aA^2 }}
{{\left( {a^2 t^2 + a^2 } \right)^2 }}dt} = \int {\frac{{aA^2 }}
{{\left( {a^2 \left( {t^2 + 1^2 } \right)} \right)^2 }}dt} = \frac{{A^2 }}
{{a^3 }}\int {\frac{1}
{{\left( {t^2 + 1} \right)^2 }}dt}
[/tex]

Thank you for the explanation.

You're welcome - the last integral can then be solved with integrating by parts.

@Chen: what's your Fourier transform variable in your expression then? The [itex]i\omega [/itex]? It is your x?

Last edited:
Doesn't matter, really... (does it?)

I need to calculate:

[tex]\frac{A}{\sqrt{2 \pi \hbar}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{1}{x^2+a^2} e^{-\frac{i}{\hbar} p x}dx[/tex]

But I want to know how to do this, because the final result I obviously can find myself. :)

Unfortunately, again, this becomes fairly easy using residues :blushing:

It probably won't matter much, but I've seen the inverse Fouriertransform as

[tex]\frac{1}
{{\sqrt {2\pi } }}\int\limits_{ - \infty }^{ + \infty } {F\left( x \right)e^{ixt} dx} \to \frac{1}
{{\sqrt {2\pi } }}\int\limits_{ - \infty }^{ + \infty } {\frac{A}
{{x^2 + a^2 }}e^{ixt} dx} = \frac{A}
{{\sqrt {2\pi } }}\int\limits_{ - \infty }^{ + \infty } {\frac{{e^{ixt} }}
{{x^2 + a^2 }}dx} [/tex]

Well, perhaps you could post the solution anyway? If it's not too long, of course. Maybe I did learn some of the methods you describe as "residues"...

(Oh - different branches of science use different conventions for thigns such as the FT. In physics (quantum mechanics) this notation is often used. :smile:)

By the way, it would be just as useful to me to find the IFT of arctan (in the same notation)... in case it's any easier.

Chen said:
(Oh - different branches of science use different conventions for thigns such as the FT. In physics (quantum mechanics) this notation is often used. :smile:)
Yes, which is why I thought it wouldn't matter :smile:

Chen said:
Well, perhaps you could post the solution anyway? If it's not too long, of course. Maybe I did learn some of the methods you describe as "residues"...
Do you mean the method or just the solution? Using residues, I found the inverse transform to be

[tex]f\left( t \right) = \frac{{Ae^{at} \sqrt {\frac{\pi }{2}} }}{a}[/tex]

For some reason I haven't figured out yet, mathematica returns a minus in the exponent when I use the InverseFourierTransform.

Mathematica also thinks there's a heaviside step function involved in there... the minus sign is probably because in the inverse transform, the exponent has a negative argument.

And I mean the method, of course... :smile:

"My mathematica" doesn't give a Heaviside function...
In the IFT fomula (the integral), the exponent doesn't have a negative sign (the FT does). At least not in my version, but http://mathworld.wolfram.com/FourierTransform.html" agrees on that.

Well in order to understand the method, you'd need to know about residues of course. The idea is that we're going to evaluate the integral in the complex plane using a contour integral (closed path) which is a large semi-circle over the upper half plane, with say radius R. The idea is then to let R -> infinity so that you can split the integral in two parts: the large arc and the part over the x-axis (real axis).
That last part is exactly what we're looking for (since we're going from -inf to +inf) and you can show that the integral over the arc will tend to zero (thanks to the second degree function in the denominator, this is generally not the case!).

We can then evaluate the integral over the closed path by calculating all the residues of the poles which lie in our area of integration, which is in this case [itex]x=ia[/itex], the denominator becomes 0 there.
Since that's the only pole we have to consider, that'll be the only residue as well. Then the integral is given by [itex]2\pi i Q[/itex] where Q means this residue (in general: the sum of all residues).

Here, this residue is

[tex] - \frac{{iAe^{at} }}
{{2a}}[/tex]

Try it for yourself in mathematica:
Code:
Residue[A/(x^2 + a^2)*Exp[-\[ImaginaryI]*x*t],x,\[ImaginaryI]*a]
Of course, these residues can be calculated by hand as well, using a limit:

[tex]\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to ia} \left( {\frac{{Ae^{ixt} }}
{{x^2 + a^2 }}\left( {x - ia} \right)} \right)[/tex]

So

[tex]2\pi i\left( { - \frac{{iAe^{at} }}
{{2a}}} \right) = \frac{{\pi Ae^{at} }}
{a}[/tex]

So

[tex]\frac{1}
{{\sqrt {2\pi } }}\int\limits_{ - \infty }^{ + \infty } {\frac{A}
{{x^2 + a^2 }}e^{ixt} dx} = \frac{1}
{{\sqrt {2\pi } }}\frac{{\pi Ae^{at} }}
{a} = \frac{{Ae^{at} \sqrt {\frac{\pi }
{2}} }}{a}[/tex]

It may still seem 'long' or 'complicated' but that's because it's new to you. When you're used to this (and you can skip the introduction), then this is a fast method for evaluating these kind of integrals without any need for 'real integration'.

Edit: before some *real mathematicians* become angry with me, I'd like to point out that the above is not very rigourous and certainly not 100% 'mathematically correct'. There are theorems which give necessary and/or sufficient condition as to when you can do the method described above (e.g. conditions when that large arc tends to zero if we let R->infinity). It was just an attempt to briefly show how this could be solved using residues.

It's not that bad, is it?

Let a>0 and put [tex]I=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{A^2}{(x^2+a^2)^2} dx[/tex]

Make the substitution [itex]x=a\tan (y)\Rightarrow dx=a\sec^{2}ydy[/itex] to get

[tex]I=\frac{A^2}{a^3}\int_{-\frac{\pi}{2}}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \cos^{2}(y) dy = \frac{A^2}{2a^3}\int_{-\frac{\pi}{2}}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\left( 1+ \cos (2y)\right) dy = \frac{A^2}{2a^3}\left[ y+ \frac{1}{2}\sin (2y)\right]_{y=-\frac{\pi}{2}}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} = \frac{A^2\pi}{2a^3}[/tex]

I must admit that I used Maple to find the substitution.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of evaluating this integral?

The purpose of evaluating this integral is to determine the area under the curve of the function $\frac{A^2}{(x^2+a^2)^2}$ over the entire real number line. This can be useful in various mathematical and scientific calculations.

2. What are the values for A and a in this integral?

The values for A and a can vary depending on the specific problem or context. In general, A represents the amplitude of the function and a represents the horizontal shift of the curve. Both A and a must be real numbers in order for the integral to converge.

3. How do you solve this type of integral?

This integral can be solved using various techniques, such as substitution, partial fractions, and trigonometric substitutions. It is important to carefully analyze the integrand and choose the most appropriate method for solving the integral.

4. Are there any special cases for this integral?

Yes, there are a few special cases for this integral. If A = 0, the integral becomes 0. If a = 0, the integral becomes $\frac{\pi}{2A}$, and if both A = 0 and a = 0, the integral becomes $\pi$. Additionally, if a = A, the integral can be simplified to $\frac{\pi}{8A}$.

5. What are the applications of this integral in science?

This integral has various applications in science, including in physics, engineering, and statistics. For example, it can be used to calculate the electric potential due to a charged particle, or to determine the probability density function for certain statistical distributions.