Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bad Post Receipts?

1. May 20, 2006 #1

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Any possibility of getting receipts for Bad Post Reports? I've got an "autocrash" problem lately (page cannot be displayed) popping up every two or three navigation steps (forum jumps, mark read, preview post, submit post, and the like), and if there were some sort of bad post submitted counter to peek at, it'd save me the concern that I'm being a nuisance with multiple reporting.

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2006 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Bystander,
    Your report has been recieved. I guess we hope that taking action is the best sign the thread report has been recieved. Unfortunatly, we are not always here. I also see some long delays in accepting file attachments.

Hmm...

Back later.

4. May 21, 2006 #3

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Action? Yeah, some are obvious, but there are a few that are really judgment calls --- might bother me, but be fine with mods, hence, no action.

Reason I asked is that, near as I can tell, normal sequence of events when I hit "submit" is that the report is submitted, then I'm returned to the page within the thread from which I started; fine when things are working 'mongst Windows, IE, the ISP, and PF; leaves me no idea whether the report was sent when things aren't working, and IE brings up "this page cannot be displayed," and "Back" and "Refresh" do nothing for me. Just prefer not to be a pest, yet want to bring the odd "train wreck" to mods' attentions.

Edit: f'rinstance, this post fought me for two minutes and four cycles through "Back" and "Refresh" before it took. This edit is the second attempt to edit --- "Submit" on the first attempt did not work, cycling B&R didn't work, and it was a matter of disconnect and log back in.

Last edited: May 21, 2006
  5. May 21, 2006 #4

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I feel your pain with the connection problems. I have been having a similar problems with some software at work. It can be a lesson in how to turn a 2 min. task into to a 20 min. chore.

You are correct, most of our "moderating" is a judgement call. We often have discussions about reported posts when there is not a clearly correct path.

Some get a collective :uhh: and nothing is done.

Some wait for a second opinion, or the return of a more qualified mentor (i.e. a forum "owner") This can take longer.

The obvious ones are usually acted on by the first mentor to see the report. Sometimes this can be pretty quick, other times not. We have mentors in Europe and the US (No Asian, to my knowledge) So we could have holes in our coverage, considering that we have many Asian members in our international community.

Remember that we are learning to do this as we go along, we are human and we make mistakes. But this forum is a labor of love for most of us so we do our best.

Greg or Chroot will have to answer your question about the automatic receipt notification.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?