Bad question on a take home quiz

• Thread starter DavidWi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Home Quiz
In summary, you are working through a problem that you have worked through ten times, but each time you get a different answer. The problem is easy, but you are not sure what your problem is. You find the answer in the mean value theorem, which states that if f(x) = sin (x/2), then there exists a number c in the interval pi/2 < x < (3*pi / 2) that satisfies the conclusion of the Mean Value Theorem. c is either -2 (cos ((3 * pi / 2) / 2) - cos ((pi / 2) / 2) / pi) or -2 ( - sqrt (2) / 2 - sqrt (2) / 2)
DavidWi
I don't know... I've worked through this problem about ten times, but each time, I get the same answer. It's a kind of easy problem too. I don't konw what my problem with this is.

If f(x) = sin (x/2), then there exists a number c in the interval pi/2 < x < (3*pi / 2 that satisfies the conclusion of the Mean Value Theorem. Which of teh following could be c?

Here's my work...

The mean value theorem is f(c) = 1/(b-a) * int (f(x), x, a, b).

the indefinate integral of sin (x/2) is -2 cos (x/2) + c

c = -2 (cos ((3 * pi / 2) / 2) - cos ((pi / 2) / 2) / pi

c = -2 (cos (3 * pi / 4) - cos (pi / 4)) / pi

c = -2 ( - sqrt (2) / 2 - sqrt (2) / 2) / pi

c = -2 (- 2 sqrt (2) / 2) / pi

c = -2 (- sqrt (2)) / pi

c = 2 * sqrt (2) / pi

but, the answer sheet only gives answers with pi in the numerator (so i know i must be wrong). Can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
You've dropped the f from f(c), as well as used c for two different things (the constant of the integration).

As far as I know, the constant of integration only applies to taking the indefinate integral. Since I'm taking the definate integral, the constant of integration cancels out. Expalin the rest though...

Your first equation was:

[tex]f(c) = \frac{\int_a^b f(x) \, dx}{b-a}[/tex]

Notice the left-hand side of this equation.

Now look at the left-hand side of all your work. See something missing?

cookiemonster

Using c for two things was just a note on being careful with your notation. And you spell definite with is not an a.

soooo... what you guys are saying is that I should set (2 * sqrt (2)) / pi equal to my function and solve for x...

2 * sqrt (2) / pi = sin (x / 2)
x / 2 = arcsin (2 * sqrt (2) / pi)
x = 2 * arcsin (2 * sqrt (2) / pi)

But this still isn't any of my answers... I'm still doing something wrong. I dont' know what it is.

You say which of the choices might be c in the original post. Is there one that is closest?

The five answers are (A) 2 pi / 3, (B) 3 pi / 4, (C) 5 pi / 6 (D) pi, (E) 3 pi / 2

I can't figure out a way to simplify arcsin (2 sqrt (2) / pi), so I don't think it's any of these answers.

The correct answer is 2arcsin(2&radic;(2)/pi) which lies between A and B.

That's assuming you mean the "integral" mean value theorem. Normally when I see just "mean value theorem", I think "differential" mean value theorem. The value of c for that is quite easily pi.

ohhhh, you're right! wow! I guess I got too caught up in the integral mean value theorum. But there's the much easier to do differential one.

f'(c) = (sin (3 pi / 4) - sin (pi / 4)) / pi
f'(c) = (sqrt (2) / 2 - sqrt (2) / 2) / pi
f'(c) = 0 / pi = 0

sin c / 2 = 0
c / 2 = arcsin 0
c / 2 = 0
c = 0

Huh, still, I get the wrong answer. Any more help?

In the first step, don't you mean sin(3pi/2), not sin(3pi/4)?

cookiemonster

no, i meant sin (3 pi / 4) because it's sin (x / 2).

if x = 3 pi / 2, then it would be sin (3 pi / 2 / 2) = sin (3 pi / 4)

Ah, you're right. Sorry.

Your error is in f'(c).

cookiemonster

OHHHHH! I GOT IT! Maybe... Maybe... I forgot to take into account my domain. I'm going from pi / 2 to 3 pi / 2. But when i solved for the arcsin 0, i thought it was a 0 radians, which is out of my domain.

arcsin 0 = pi, not 0

sin (c / 2) = 0
c / 2 = arcsin 0
c / 2 = pi
c = 2 * pi...

noooooo the stupid rotten 2... i thought i almost had it.

f'(c)... As in d/dx(f(x))|c... or maybe d/dx(sin(x/2))|c...

cookiemonster

Mean value theorem
[tex]
f'(c)= \frac{f( \frac{3 \pi}{2}) - f( \frac{ \pi}{2})}{ \pi}
[/tex]
u can see that

cos(c/2)= 0

therefore
c = pi

wow, finally i see the right answer. Now, I wonder if I can get my calc teacher with that problem. I don't think he'll be able to do it. Maybe he will though.

1. Why is it important to ask good questions on a take home quiz?

Asking good questions on a take home quiz is important because it ensures that the quiz accurately assesses the student's understanding of the material. It also helps the student to think critically and demonstrate their knowledge in a clear and concise manner.

2. What makes a question "bad" on a take home quiz?

A question on a take home quiz can be considered "bad" if it is ambiguous, confusing, or does not accurately assess the student's understanding of the material. It should also not be too easy or too difficult for the student to answer.

3. How can I avoid asking bad questions on a take home quiz?

To avoid asking bad questions on a take home quiz, it is important to carefully review the material being covered and create questions that accurately reflect the key concepts and learning objectives. It may also be helpful to have someone else review the questions for clarity and accuracy.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when creating questions for a take home quiz?

Some common mistakes to avoid when creating questions for a take home quiz include using vague or overly complex language, including multiple questions within one, and not providing enough context or information for the student to answer the question accurately.

5. How can asking bad questions on a take home quiz affect a student's grade?

Asking bad questions on a take home quiz can significantly impact a student's grade as it may not accurately assess their understanding of the material. This can lead to an unfair evaluation of the student's knowledge and potentially lower their grade. It can also cause frustration and confusion for the student.