Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bad Science on TV

1. May 22, 2004 #1
    Have you seen bad scifi - [lets face it - which one of us hasn't 1time or another :biggrin: ] - but the scientific basis is soo rediculuos that the most cursary look@their primary school books would have showed it to be wrong.

... but please don't start on Star Trek because you'll have a fight on your hands ... :biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2004 #2
    Star Trek. :P

4. May 22, 2004 #3
    Okay, seriously... Star Trek... :P

A kids show here about an alien girl who hooks up with a whale and fights crime. It's called Ocean Girl, and has a heavy conservationist message.

5. May 22, 2004 #4
    Sounds familiar ....

6. May 22, 2004 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A little off topic, but what drives me nuts are news reporters that don't do their homework. I remember a recent story about energy prices and the rising cost of electrical energy. A Portland news station reported that the price of electricity was going up by so much per Kilowatt. Now, this may be nit-picking a bit, but I thought that journalist are supposed to get the facts straight.

We purchase in units of Kilowatt Hours = energy; not kilowatts = power. To say that the price is 10 cents per kilowatt means absolutely nothing.

7. May 22, 2004 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

of course when you live with Tsunami you measure energy in Megawatt Days. :eek:

:biggrin:

8. May 22, 2004 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

The movie "Attack of the Atomic Crabs". I must've watched this movie 50 times when I was little becuase it was constantly played on a Saturday night sci-fi/horror show called "Weird".

It was about a group of people on a pacific island where some crabs had been exposed to atomic fallout. The crabs became the size of houses and would eat people, then the crabs would telepathically summon the friends of the people it had eaten so the crabs could eat them too. :bugeye:

9. May 22, 2004 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

uh huh.

and the bad science part is....

10. May 23, 2004 #9
    Evo, I don't think Ivan likes you starting on his telepathic relatives [look @ his avatar] ... :smile:

11. May 23, 2004 #10
    Lexx, that show is just stupid

and star trek

12. May 23, 2004 #11

Evo

I LOVED LEXX, well, the first two seasons before LEXX became weak and they added Prince. :yuck:

Kai is HOT!! :biggrin: Something about those undead guys...

You don't think LEXX is scientifically accurate?? :tongue2:

13. May 23, 2004 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

WOW! Evo a Lexx fan... :surprise:

Okay, I always loved it when Spock would tell captain Kirk that such and such event would take places in 6.024....432 minutes. Of course, in the time that he said it, 0.05 minutes had passed.

I love to tease Tsu about Captain Kirk - whom she can't stand - by pretending that he is my hero. Why just the other night I was telling her that when I am faced with a tough business decision, I think to myself, what would Kirk do?

Last night we watched Crimson Tide. Denzel Washington is a Nuclear Sub's First Officer who inspires a stressed crewman my telling him to imagine that they are like Kirk and Scotty, where Scotty comes through for the Captain at just the last second.

I looked at Tsu and said see! Even submarine commanders want to be like Kirk! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Then we pondered the strangeness of a fictional character idolizing another fictional character.

14. May 23, 2004 #13

Evo

Kai is hot, what can I say? (shallow) :wink: And it was funny. :tongue2:

I can't stand Captain Kirk. :yuck:

15. May 24, 2004 #14
    That show is very erotic. The love slave girl, Zev, used to be, anyway. All of a sudden there is a different actress playing her. The new actress is not hot.

Cleopatra 2525 is another very scientifically accurate show set in the future with hot women and large flying bugs.

I think it is signifigant that two separate teams of writers came to the conclusion the future would consist of hot women and large flying bugs. They were probably fed this information by psychic clairvoyants or remote viewers from area 51: I think we are seeing the truth about the future.

Last edited: May 24, 2004
  16. May 24, 2004 #15
    Does anybody here watch Nip/Tuck? A girl (friend) of mine is crazy about Julian Mc Mahon. But that show is fully mostly of beautiful women and guys just getting it on. Less science = more goodlooking people

Kelly Carson definitely has one of the most beautiful face I've seen.

17. May 24, 2004 #16
    Where are the Trekkies ? ... no Next Generation Trekkies on PF? ... thought I'd never see the day ...

Star Trek has it's fine share of hot women 2 ... :p

18. May 24, 2004 #17
    The movie Jeepers Creepers 2 drove me crazy. It has a creature that flies, is strong enough to flip a bus (by pulling it while flying, yeah right.) or lift a load twice its body weight at lightning speeds (as it grabs a huge guy and carries him into the air in a flash.) and rips its own head off and replaces it with a fully functional one that it steals from a teenager in the bus, with the head passing from the inside of the creature out. This movie just said, "To He.. with physics or science of any kind."

Oh and I almost forgot, one of the girls on the bus becomes a psyhic with no previous psyhic episodes.

19. May 24, 2004 #18
    Lol ... ...

20. May 24, 2004 #19

jimmy p

Gold Member

Ooh poor science. How about all those shampoo adverts where i SWEAR they just make up chemicals like "neutrileum"... like we are supposed to know what it does.

How about just about every Marvel comic?

What about "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes"?

21. May 24, 2004 #20
    Don't you dare mock Spidey...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?