1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bad summer placements?

1. Aug 21, 2011 #1
    Oh god I'm on a summer placement at a synchrotron and it has quickly turned into a hellish experience.

I rent a room from a woman (who lives in the house too) and she is crazy. Once she got my rent money up-front, she started laying down all these rules like:
    *I'm not allowed to speak in my room
    *I'm not allowed to walk around too much in my room
    *I'm only allowed half a shelf in the fridge
    etc.

I was taking a shower the other day, and as soon as she heard me start the shower she turned off the boiler. The water goes cold a minute later, so i go to see what is wrong with the boiler and she starts complaining that I use too much water. (i only have one shower a day).

And what I didn't know until after I moved in is that she babysits dogs. I get home and there a 3 dogs running around and jumping on me. They stayed for over a month. The whole house smells of dog urine. Argh.

I've had enough now and am leaving. It means that I've had to finish my placement 3 weeks early because I couldn't find alternative accommodation.

MORAL OF STORY: don't do placements in a country where you don't speak the language. Would have been so much easier to arrange alternative accommodation had I stayed in the UK.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2011 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

C'est la France.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook