What is the coefficient of kinetic friction and tension in this physics problem?

• Thread starter kulai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the system has an acceleration of 1.20 m/s2 and the coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and incline is the same. The tension in the string is 60.6 N.
kulai

Homework Statement

The system shown in Figure 4.54 has an acceleration of magnitude 1.20 m/s2, where m1 = 3.70 kg and m2 = 7.60 kg. Assume that the coefficient of kinetic friction between block and incline is the same for both inclines.

http://www.webassign.net/serpop/p4-54alt.gif

(a) Find the coefficient of kinetic friction.
(b) Find the tension in the string.

The Attempt at a Solution

ive tried to compile all the forces into one equation and it turned out like this:

Fk on m1 + Fk on m2 + Fg m1 - Fg m2 = Fnet
n1*muk + n2*muk + m1g - m2g = m2a

-please i need help as fast as possible

Physics news on Phys.org
The angle matters. You shouldn't have m1g and m2g, but rather the components of those forces that are along the slope. The n1 and n2 will also be components of the mg forces, so they'll have sin 35 or cos 35 in their expressions, too.

Welcome to PF!

ya i know. sorry i didnt type it in more detail cause i was late for another class. if i added the numbers to it, it came out

7.6*9.8*cos35*muk +3.7*9.8*sin35 + 3.7*9.8*cos35*muk - 7.6*9.8*sin35 = 9.12

-please tell me if I'm missing anything or if my numbers are off. thank you for the fast responses

For the ma on the right, your number doesn't seem right.

Delphi51 said:
For the ma on the right, your number doesn't seem right.

i multiplied the acceleration given and the mass of m2 because its the block pulling the the other. i tried adding m1 and m2 together and using that for the net force but i still go the answer wrong

ma = (3.7 + 7.6)*1.2 = 13.56
I'd say the signs on the left side are all wrong. Friction should be negative.

ok so I've got

7.6*9.8*sin35 - 7.6*9.8*cos35*muk - 3.7*9.8*sin35 - 3.7*9.8*cos35*muk) = 13.56

when i factor out the muk n balance out the equation i get muk = 0.0919. is that what you got? sorry I'm being really picky about this but i have to make sure because this is my last attempt on this problem. I'm really grateful for all the help

I actually got .0924, but I use g=9.81 so we probably agree.

ok it was right. thank you so much. now i have to do work on getting tension on the string. I am not too sure how to start it. i kind of tried mixing the components around to make it

(m2g - n2muk) + (m1g + n1muk) = T

but my answer ends up being 60.6N and I'm very sure that's not right.

Recommend you concentrate on just m1. The sum of the forces parallel to the ramp equals ma.

1. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

To improve your problem-solving skills in physics, it is important to practice regularly and to break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts. You can also seek help from a tutor or join a study group to gain additional support and resources.

2. What are common mistakes that lead to difficulties with physics problems?

Some common mistakes that can lead to difficulties with physics problems include not fully understanding the fundamental concepts, not setting up the problem correctly, and making careless errors in calculations.

3. What resources can I use to help me with difficult physics problems?

There are a variety of resources that can help with difficult physics problems, including textbooks, online tutorials, and study guides. You can also reach out to your teacher or professor for additional support and guidance.

4. How can I stay motivated when facing challenging physics problems?

Staying motivated when facing challenging physics problems can be difficult, but one strategy is to break the problem down into smaller, more achievable goals. You can also remind yourself of your long-term goals and the importance of mastering physics for your future career or academic pursuits.

5. Is it normal to struggle with physics problems?

Yes, it is normal to struggle with physics problems. Physics is a complex subject, and it takes time and effort to fully understand and apply the concepts. It is important to stay persistent and seek help when needed, and remember that with practice, your problem-solving skills will improve.