Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Baez video online

1. Jun 7, 2006 #1

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2006 #2

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

by the way, another bit of QG web news:

Christine is blogging again. she took a break
    checking dantas blog is a pleasant interlude in the morning, nice graphically and often with bits of information, so it adds to the day

christinedantas.blogspot.com/

and where else would we have found out about Smolin's talk in Paris this month at the Ecole Poly?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2006
  4. Jun 7, 2006 #3

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

the things that Hurkyl was explicating and conjecturing about what Baez meant---in that other thread---are what Baez starts talking about in page 6 of the stills menu

so you can jump to the exciting part if you want

5. Jun 8, 2006 #4
    I have watched Baez's talk yesterday (my connection was quite poor, though) and was very, very entertained indeed. I think his "clues" are genuinely misterious enough and made me quite interested in learning more about all this n-category stuff. Great talk with several funny "incidents"...:biggrin:

Christine
    PS- BTW thanks for the nice words on my blog; I was at a *very* bad time when I decided it was a time for a pause...:frown:

6. Jun 8, 2006 #5

f-h

I had the chance to see it. Fun special effects.

7. Jun 16, 2006 #6

john baez

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

An electrifying talk

Oh-oh! I haven't seen it yet. There was a huge thunderstorm with power surges that caused the high-tech overhead projector to crash a couple of times... and once, all the lights in the room blinked and then came on brighter than before! :surprised

So the video recorder somehow survived all this electrifying excitement?

We all have those times... I hope things are better now.

By sheer coincidence, I just happen to have your paper "Energy ranking preservation in n-body cosmological simulation" here. It's intriguing - no need to chase after classical gravity or even general relativity to find mysteries in gravity; even the statistical mechanics of gravity is endlessly puzzling.

8. Jun 17, 2006 #7
    Dear John Baez,

I liked your talk very much.:biggrin: (Yes, somehow the images survived the storm. But my connection was very poor, so I had to stop all the time. Meanwhile I had dinner, watched a little, took a bath, watched a little, put my son to sleep, ... etc, all the way through your talk.:bugeye: ) BTW, the way you expose the material remainds me of an astrophysicist colleague and old friend of mine here in Brazil, his talks are always entertaining like that.

I have recently completed the proofs of that article, with some minor revisions, I suppose the final corrected edition may be already available at the MNRAS site. Otherwise I can send it to you if you like. Yes you are absolutely correct, statistical mechanics of gravitating systems is very intriguing and a difficult subject, to which I am only scratching the surface. Padmanabhan has very good papers on it, as you can check in the references of my paper. Now the next step is to dedicate to the observational side of the history: analyse the available surveys (on large scale structures in the Universe) and try to figure out if we can reconstruct the initial spectrum based on the ERP.

Best wishes
    Christine

9. Jun 18, 2006 #8

john baez

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Erp?

Thank you! Does he always get thunderstorms, too? :tongue2:

I think the version I have is good enough for me. I have a list of small English grammar mistakes, but I guess it's too late.

What's the ERP? Oh - energy ranking preservation!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?