Troubleshooting DC Motor Power: Understanding Volts and Amps | Expert Tips

In summary: A meter set to measure amps has to be inserted into the circuit in SERIES, if you took a meter set to amps and touched the probes to the motor leads, you have effectively shorted the motor and you are lucky if you didn't wreck your meter. You can either get a clamp on meter or series your meter with one of the motor leads. (Most meters are 10amp max)
dvn
Hi,

I have a dc motor which I am not sure of it's power and was checking the volts and amps. I used a drill to rotate the dc motor.

I have a multimeter and I was measuring the motor output, the outcome I got was 40v and when I checked the amps the motor suddenly slows down then stop after the multimeter reads 150amps.

Why this happens every time I tried to measure the amps, it suddenly stops?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The ampmeter, ideally, has a very low resistance, so if you measure the current like you would the voltage, you are redirecting the current from/around the whole or part of the circuit.

You might like to compare how fast the motor slows down unconnected versus short-circuited (noting the principles of how voltmeters/ammeters were constructed, say from an introductory physics textbook). Cute classical example of the observation influencing the results.

I was wondering if there are any ways to measure the amps since I don't know where I got the DC motor from and there are no labels? I am trying to find a way to measure the motor's power output.

The proper way to measure current is to make the ampmeter part of the circuit, connected in a series to the motor.

dvn said:
I was wondering if there are any ways to measure the amps since I don't know where I got the DC motor from and there are no labels? I am trying to find a way to measure the motor's power output.
The electric-drill experiment isn't helpful because the voltage will vary depending upon how fast you spin the drill. You need to have a real load on the output of the motor, not just an amp-meter on the leads with low resistance. Meaning, you need load on the output shaft that's variable and you need a variable voltage input. As you increase the load on the input shaft, you'll notice that the amperage-draw increases (voltage will drop due to internal-resistance of motor). The input voltage will dictate the RPMs and the load will determine the amps drawn.

It really comes down to heat generation really. The size of the wire in the windings will dictate how many amps you can pump through that motor and if you try to get too much power out of it, it'll overheat.

A meter set to measure amps has to be inserted into the circuit in SERIES, if you took a meter set to amps and touched the probes to the motor leads, you have effectively shorted the motor and you are lucky if you didn't wreck your meter. You can either get a clamp on meter or series your meter with one of the motor leads. (Most meters are 10amp max)

cesiumfrog said:
You might like to compare how fast the motor slows down unconnected versus short-circuited (noting the principles of how voltmeters/ammeters were constructed, say from an introductory physics textbook). Cute classical example of the observation influencing the results.

lol, I missed this before I replied.

What causes a DC motor to lose power?

There are several possible causes for a DC motor to lose power. Some common reasons include worn out brushes, damaged wiring, low voltage supply, and excessive friction or load on the motor. It is important to troubleshoot and identify the specific cause in order to fix the issue.

Why is it important to understand volts and amps when troubleshooting a DC motor?

Understanding volts and amps is crucial in troubleshooting a DC motor because they directly affect the power and performance of the motor. Volts measure the electrical potential difference, while amps measure the current flowing through the motor. By understanding these values, you can determine if the motor is receiving enough power and if there are any issues with the electrical components.

How can I measure the volts and amps of a DC motor?

You can use a multimeter to measure the volts and amps of a DC motor. Set the multimeter to the appropriate setting and then connect the probes to the positive and negative terminals of the motor. The multimeter will display the volts and amps readings.

What is the ideal voltage and amp range for a DC motor?

The ideal voltage and amp range for a DC motor depends on its specific design and purpose. Generally, most DC motors operate within a voltage range of 6 to 24 volts and an amp range of 0.5 to 10 amps. It is important to refer to the manufacturer's specifications for the recommended voltage and amp range for your motor.

How can I troubleshoot a DC motor that is not receiving enough power?

If your DC motor is not receiving enough power, you can check the voltage supply, inspect the wiring and connections for any damage, and make sure the brushes are not worn out. You can also test the motor with a different power source to see if it makes a difference. If the issue persists, it is best to consult a professional for further troubleshooting and repairs.