1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Baffling Circut problem

1. Mar 14, 2005 #1
    In the figure provided, all the resistors have a resistance of 4 ohms and all the ideal batteries have an emf of 4 V. What is the current through resistor R?

This question had me baffled for a while, I can't quite trace through the circut. Even my physics teacher got lost with the unbelievable loops in the circut. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2005 #2
    ANYONE? Come on, this can't be that hard.

4. Mar 16, 2005 #3

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think it's 2A.
    Use Kirchoff's Voltage Law.
    Start at the junction below the lower-left battery.
    Travel up to the upper left corner, passing along three batteries along the way.
    Then travel right to the battery near the right-side, passing it "backwards".
    Then travel to your resistor, then down to the bottom wire, which is
    equivalent to your starting point.

(+4V) + (+4V) + (+4V) + (-4V) + (-IR) = 0
    or
    (+8V)=IR... so I=(8 V)/R = (8 V)/(4 ohms)= 2A.

5. Mar 17, 2005 #4

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Aha! I knew there had to be a trick! Here I was starting to set up a 19 x 19 matrix. After bogging down in all the junctions I thought I'd just wait for the answer to show up. So, to summarize: find a loop that only passes through the batteries and the resistor that you want, eh? Brilliant! I love it!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?