Calculating Work Done in Baffling Thermodynamics Graph

In summary: So, that's the general idea. Now, let's look at the graph. What is the area under the graph from A to B?In summary, the question is asking to determine the work done (including algebraic sign) in each segment of the path ABCA on a graph where the vertical divisions represent 4.00 x 10^5 Pa and the horizontal divisions represent 5.00 x 10^-3 m^3. The work done is calculated by multiplying pressure and change in volume (dW = P * dV), and the area under the graph represents the work done. The scale of the graph is not provided.
jacksonpeeble
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The pressure and volume of a gas are changed along the path ABCA in the graph. The vertical divisions on the graph represent 4.00 105 Pa, and the horizontal divisions represent 5.00 10-3 m3. Determine the work done (including algebraic sign) in each segment of the path.
cj6_p15-10alt.gif

(a) A to B = 0
(b) B to C
(c) C to A

Homework Equations

Area of Triangle=.5lwh
(0th and 1st Laws of Thermodynamics)

The Attempt at a Solution

What exactly am I supposed to figure out, and how am I supposed to go about doing this? I'm thrown off by the graph and what to do with it? What is it saying about the scale? If someone can explain HOW to get the numbers that I need to make the calculations (and why to use them), I can probably work it out (I assume I use the area of a triangle in there somewhere, but perhaps I'm wrong).

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't worry about the area... try rather to start by looking at each edge. That's what the question is asking.

For example... in going from A to B, what are the values for volume and pressure and how do they change? Can you figure out anything about the work done, just for this simple transition?

jacksonpeeble said:
What exactly am I supposed to figure out, and how am I supposed to go about doing this?

You're supposed to be figuring out the work done. Work is P*delta-V, so the work done from A to B, for example, is the area under the graph from A to B.

What is it saying about the scale?

There's no scale on the PV diagrams. The question's telling you what each grid represents.

...I hate to do it, but I'm going to have to ask for additional clarification. This just isn't clicking. :]

OK, one step at a time. Do you know why dW=P*dV? This is analogous to dx=v*dt, so it follows that because the area under a velocity-time graph is displacement, the area under a pressure-volume graph is work.

Ok :-)

1. What is a "Baffling Thermodynamics Graph"?

A "Baffling Thermodynamics Graph" is a graphical representation of a system's thermodynamic properties, such as temperature, pressure, and energy, that can be difficult to interpret or understand due to complex or non-linear relationships between these variables.

2. How is a "Baffling Thermodynamics Graph" different from a regular thermodynamics graph?

A "Baffling Thermodynamics Graph" differs from a regular thermodynamics graph in that it may contain multiple overlapping curves, non-linear relationships, or unusual patterns that make it more difficult to analyze and interpret.

3. Why are "Baffling Thermodynamics Graphs" important in scientific research?

"Baffling Thermodynamics Graphs" are important in scientific research because they can reveal complex relationships and phenomena that cannot be described by simple equations or models. They can also point to areas where further research and understanding is needed.

4. How can I make sense of a "Baffling Thermodynamics Graph"?

To make sense of a "Baffling Thermodynamics Graph", it is important to carefully analyze the axes, units, and labels to understand what each curve represents. Additionally, it may be helpful to consult with experts in the field or conduct further research to gain a better understanding of the system being represented.

5. Are there any tips or tricks for interpreting "Baffling Thermodynamics Graphs"?

Some tips for interpreting "Baffling Thermodynamics Graphs" include looking for patterns or trends, identifying key variables and their relationships, and comparing the graph to simpler, more familiar thermodynamics graphs. It may also be helpful to break the graph down into smaller sections and analyze them individually.