Baked potatoes

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
wolram
Gold Member

Main Question or Discussion Point

They are my favorite fast food, well not fast as in cooking time, but fast as in prep time, the problem is the toppings, i have ran out of ideas, cheese is
good as is chili (from a tin), whatever, it must be a strong tasting topping,
any ideas?

Answers and Replies

Sour cream, bacon bits, fresh chives and cheese .....bad for you but tastes great.

I stick with butter :smile:

They are my favorite fast food, well not fast as in cooking time, but fast as in prep time, the problem is the toppings, i have ran out of ideas, cheese is
any ideas?
Cheese, bacon bits, Ranch dressing.

Evo
Mentor
any ideas?
I top mine with lemon pepper and hot sauce.

Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Frankfurter onions and mustard. Brie and coleslaw with extra red onions. Onions :biggrin:

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I do pretty much all of the above.

I've had baked potatoes with butter, salt and pepper,

with Sour cream, bacon bits, fresh chives and cheese! :tongue2: (garlic optional)

with chili, cheese and jalapeños, with or without hot (tobasco) sauce :tongue2:

with sour cream, cheese and picante sauce or salsa, :tongue2:

and various other combinations.

I don't remember Ranch dressing - but it's on my list - Thanks, larkspur!

Brie is another ingredient I have yet to try. Thanks, Kurdt!

Also curries and chutneys are good!

Last edited:
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
light sour cream and black caviar

or

cottage cheese and salsa

or

cottage cheese and A1 steak sauce

wolram
Gold Member
Lemon peppers? never heard of those ones, jalapeños are bland almost like
eating pea pods.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Lemon peppers? never heard of those ones, jalapeños are bland almost like eating pea pods.
Substitute habaneros for jalapeños. I think lemon pepper refers to black pepper soaked in lemon juice, which is then dried and powdered.

Evo
Mentor
rotel tomato hot cheese dip is good on potatoes, that's canned diced tomatoes with green chiles in it.

wolram
Gold Member
How about, habaneros, pineaple, cheese and tomatoes ,all mixed up some way
it (sounds) good, maybe make it like a chunky chutney????

turbo
Gold Member
Woolie, you must try this! Bake the potatoes, rescue from the oven and scoop out most of the flesh (for use in other dishes). Scuff up the remaining flesh and drizzle finely-minced sauteed fresh onion and garlic into the potato skins along with the butter that they were browned in, shake on salt and pepper, then top with a very sharp cheddar and re-bake until the cheese starts to brown. These are not describable in any real terms! You have to experience them, and then fight off your relatives who are convinced that you are THE chef.

Evo
Mentor
How about, habaneros, pineaple, cheese and tomatoes ,all mixed up some way
it (sounds) good, maybe make it like a chunky chutney????
:bugeye: Pineapple? :surprised

Woolie, you must try this! Bake the potatoes, rescue from the oven and scoop out most of the flesh (for use in other dishes). Scuff up the remaining flesh and drizzle finely-minced sauteed fresh onion and garlic into the potato skins along with the butter that they were browned in, shake on salt and pepper, then top with a very sharp cheddar and re-bake until the cheese starts to brown. These are not describable in any real terms! You have to experience them, and then fight off your relatives who are convinced that you are THE chef.
mmm, potato skins :) Very tasty indeed.

Very good with some sour cream

turbo
Gold Member
mmm, potato skins :) Very tasty indeed.

Very good with some sour cream
Yes, I am in heaven when I devour these potatoes, but my wife insists on adding sour cream.

Sounds yummy! I love potatoe skins.

bacon on top always is delicous mmmmm with a cheese sauce, maybe a little garlic and onion and spinkled with parsley and beadcrumb place bake in oven ( goes so nice and crispy) mmmmm

wolram
Gold Member
:bugeye: Pineapple? :surprised

What is bad about the pineaple :confused: I think they go well with chili, almost the perfect ying and yang or is that zing and bang.
Your one sounds great Turbo, trouble is all our baking tatters have thin skin
of late all most skinless :grumpy:

turbo
Gold Member
What is bad about the pineaple :confused: I think they go well with chili, almost the perfect ying and yang or is that zing and bang.
Your one sounds great Turbo, trouble is all our baking tatters have thin skin
of late all most skinless :grumpy:
You can still try the recipe, though. I never scoop out all the potato, just enough to make a recess for the garlic, onion and butter to go into. And once I make the hollow, I score it with a fork or butter knife to make lots of little crevices for the butter to run into. I top mine with sharp cheese before re-baking, and sometimes grate a thin layer of romano on top of that for a little extra snap. These are wonderful served with chili, though they are great all by themselves with some of our hot home-made habanero-jalapeno salsa on the side. As others have suggested, crumbled bacon and sour cream are popular toppings, though nothing beats salsa or chili in my book. There is a tavern in my old home town that serves baked potato skins filled with chili and topped with cheese, though their chili is far too bland for my taste.

Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
They are my favorite fast food, well not fast as in cooking time, but fast as in prep time...........
You can make them fast food by microwaving them for 5-7 minutes then doing 5 minutes in a pre-heated oven to finish them off. Microwave time depends on how big the potato is and the microwave power rating.

Am I the only person who puts nothing on them?

no butter or salt or anything?