Baker, Campbell, Hausdorff and all that

• Thread starter lbrits
  • Start date
In summary, Kory helped me find an elegant proof of the Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff formula. This equation states that, if A and B are matrices, then e^{A+B} is equal to the sum of the squares of the elements in A plus the sum of the squares of the elements in B. Kory was able to prove this equation starting from the easy to prove identity e^{A+sB} = \left( \int_0^1\!dt\, e^{t(A+sB)} B e^{-t(A+sB)} \right) e^{A+sB}. However, the proof gets a bit messy. I was hoping maybe someone
lbrits
[SOLVED] Baker, Campbell, Hausdorff and all that

I'm posting this here because, although it is a mathematics problem, it is related to perturbation theory and is the kind of problem physicists might be more skilled at answering.

Does anyone know an elegant proof of

[tex]e^{A+B} = \int_0^1 d\alpha_1 \,\delta(1-\alpha_1) e^{\alpha_1 A} + \int_0^1 d\alpha_1 d\alpha_2 \,\delta(1-\alpha_1 - \alpha_2) e^{\alpha_1 A} B e^{\alpha_2 A} + \frac{1}{2!}\int_0^1 d\alpha_1 d\alpha_2 d\alpha_3 \,\delta(1-\alpha_1 - \alpha_2 - \alpha_3) e^{\alpha_1 A} B e^{\alpha_2 A} B e^{\alpha_3 A} + \dots[/tex]

where of course [tex]A[/tex] and [tex]B[/tex] are matrices? I can prove it starting from the easy to prove identity
[tex]\frac{d}{ds} e^{A + s B} = \left( \int_0^1\!dt\, e^{t(A + s B)} B e^{-t(A + s B)} \right) e^{A + s B}[/tex]
but the proof gets a bit messy. I was hoping maybe someone recognizes the formula or knows a good references.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't help with your question but I'm curious. What does

[tex]\int_0^1 d\alpha_1 \,\delta(1-\alpha_1) e^{\alpha_1 A}[/tex]

mean?

That is, since

[tex]\int_0^{1+\epsilon} d\alpha_1 \,\delta(1-\alpha_1) e^{\alpha_1 A}=e^A[/tex] and [tex]\int_0^{1-\epsilon} d\alpha_1 \,\delta(1-\alpha_1) e^{\alpha_1 A}=0[/tex]

what happens when your limit of integration over a delta function is the singularity point?

I'll give an example, based on (a more general version of) the second identity I gave. You can think of
[tex]\frac{d}{ds} \left( e^{A(s)} \right) = \int_0^1\int_0^1 \!d\alpha_1\,d\alpha_2 \delta(1-\alpha_1 - \alpha_2) e^{\alpha_1 A(s)} A'(s) e^{\alpha_2 A(s)} [/tex]
as short-hand for
[tex]\frac{d}{ds} \left( e^{A(s)} \right) = \int_0^1\!d\alpha\,e^{\alpha A(s)} A'(s) e^{(1-\alpha)A(s)} [/tex].
This the range of integration extends slightly beyond the singular point, in order that the short-hand works.

I think I understand that. Thanks!

In case anyone is following the score, the correct identity turns out to be

[tex]e^{A+B} = \int_0^1 d\alpha_1 \,\delta(1-\alpha_1) e^{\alpha_1 A} + \int_0^1 d\alpha_1 d\alpha_2 \,\delta(1-\alpha_1 - \alpha_2) e^{\alpha_1 A} B e^{\alpha_2 A} + \int_0^1 d\alpha_1 d\alpha_2 d\alpha_3 \,\delta(1-\alpha_1 - \alpha_2 - \alpha_3) e^{\alpha_1 A} B e^{\alpha_2 A} B e^{\alpha_3 A} + \dots[/tex]

which is considerably easier to prove =)

For anyone who cares for the solution, I've posted it here:
http://www.mathematics.thetangentbundle.net/wiki/Linear_algebra/Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff_formula/integral_expansion_proof
Thanks to my friend Kory for his assistance.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is "Baker, Campbell, Hausdorff and all that"?

"Baker, Campbell, Hausdorff and all that" refers to a set of mathematical theorems and concepts related to the algebraic structure of Lie groups and Lie algebras. These theorems were developed by mathematicians Henry Frederick Baker, John Edward Campbell, Felix Hausdorff, and others.

What is the significance of "Baker, Campbell, Hausdorff and all that" in mathematics?

"Baker, Campbell, Hausdorff and all that" is significant in mathematics because it provides a powerful tool for understanding the structure and properties of Lie groups and Lie algebras. This has applications in many areas of mathematics and physics, including differential geometry, quantum mechanics, and string theory.

What are some key concepts in "Baker, Campbell, Hausdorff and all that"?

Some key concepts in "Baker, Campbell, Hausdorff and all that" include the Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff formula, which expresses the product of two exponentials of Lie algebra elements in terms of a single exponential; the Campbell-Hausdorff theorem, which gives conditions for two Lie groups to be isomorphic; and the Hausdorff metric, which measures the distance between two subsets of a metric space.

How are the theorems in "Baker, Campbell, Hausdorff and all that" used in physics?

The theorems in "Baker, Campbell, Hausdorff and all that" are used in physics to study the symmetries and transformations of physical systems. For example, the Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff formula is used to calculate the time evolution of quantum mechanical systems, and the Campbell-Hausdorff theorem is used to classify the symmetries of physical systems.

What are some real-world applications of "Baker, Campbell, Hausdorff and all that"?

"Baker, Campbell, Hausdorff and all that" has many real-world applications in fields such as engineering, computer science, and economics. For example, the theorems are used in control theory to design optimal control systems, in robotics to plan efficient movements, and in portfolio management to optimize investment strategies.