Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff formula

• Thread starter Bresden
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
I, T^J] + \frac{1}{6} \alpha_I \beta_J \beta_K [T^I, T^J, T^K] + \frac{1}{6} \alpha_I \beta_J \alpha_K [T^I, T^K, T^J] + \frac{1}{6} \alpha_I \alpha_J \beta_K [T^J, T^K, T^I] In summary, the conversation is about the Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff formula and its application up to the third order. The formula is used to calculate Lie group elements and involves using the exponential function and Lie group generators. The first, second, and third orders
Bresden
Hi everybody!

I have a problem with the Baker-Campbell-Hausdorf formula in third order approximation. I hope there is anyone who can help me through this calculation!

1. The Problem Statement
All Lie group elements can be written as
[itex]U(\alpha_I)=\exp(i \alpha_I T^I).[/itex]
Proof the Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff formula
[itex]U(\alpha_I) U(\beta_I) = U(\gamma_I),[/itex]
up to the third order.

First Order
[itex]U(\alpha_I) U(\beta_I) = (\mathbb{1} + i \alpha_I T^I)(\mathbb{1} + i \beta_I T^I) =
\mathbb{1} + i(\alpha_I + \beta_I)T^I
\Rightarrow \gamma^{(1)}_I = (\alpha_I + \beta_I)[/itex]

Second Order
[itex]U(\alpha_I) U(\beta_I) = (\mathbb{1} + i \alpha_I T^I - \frac{1}{2} \alpha_I \alpha_J T^I T^J)(\mathbb{1} + i \beta_I T^I - \frac{1}{2} \beta_I \beta_J T^I T^J) =
\mathbb{1} + i(\alpha_I + \beta_I)T^I - \frac{1}{2} \left( \alpha_I \alpha_J + \beta_I \beta_J + 2 \alpha_I \beta_J \right)T^I T^J
= \mathbb{1} + i(\alpha_I + \beta_I)T^I - \frac{1}{2} \left[ (\alpha_I + \beta_I)(\alpha_J + \beta_J)T^I T^J + \alpha_I \beta_J[T^I,T^J] \right]
\Rightarrow \gamma^{(1)}_I = \alpha_I + \beta_I[/itex]
[itex]\Rightarrow \gamma^{(2)}_I = \alpha_I + \beta_I - \frac{1}{2} \alpha_I \beta_J [T^I, T^J][/itex]

Third Order
HOW TO CALCULATE THIS?

THX for every help!

Physics news on Phys.org
</code>The third order of the Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff formula is:U(\alpha_I) U(\beta_I) = (\mathbb{1} + i \alpha_I T^I - \frac{1}{2} \alpha_I \alpha_J T^I T^J + \frac{1}{6} \alpha_I \alpha_J \alpha_K T^I T^J T^K)(\mathbb{1} + i \beta_I T^I - \frac{1}{2} \beta_I \beta_J T^I T^J + \frac{1}{6} \beta_I \beta_J \beta_K T^I T^J T^K)= \mathbb{1} + i(\alpha_I + \beta_I)T^I - \frac{1}{2} \left[ (\alpha_I + \beta_I)(\alpha_J + \beta_J)T^I T^J + \alpha_I \beta_J[T^I,T^J] \right] + \frac{1}{6} \left[(\alpha_I + \beta_I)(\alpha_J + \beta_J)(\alpha_K + \beta_K)T^I T^J T^K + \alpha_I \beta_J \beta_K [T^I, T^J, T^K] + \alpha_I \beta_J \alpha_K [T^I, T^K, T^J] + \alpha_I \alpha_J \beta_K [T^J, T^K, T^I] \right] \Rightarrow \gamma^{(1)}_I = \alpha_I + \beta_I \Rightarrow \gamma^{(2)}_I = \alpha_I + \beta_I - \frac{1}{2} \alpha_I \beta_J [T^I, T^J]\Rightarrow \gamma^{(3)}_I = \alpha_I + \beta_I - \frac{1}{2} \alpha_I \beta_J [T

What is the Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff formula?

The Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff formula, also known as the BCH formula, is a mathematical formula used in the study of Lie algebras. It provides an expression for the commutator of two elements in a Lie algebra in terms of the exponential of the elements.

What is the significance of the Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff formula?

The Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff formula is significant because it allows for the simplification of calculations in Lie algebras. It also has applications in physics, particularly in the study of quantum mechanics and general relativity.

How is the Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff formula derived?

The Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff formula is derived using a series expansion of the Lie group exponential map. It can also be derived using the Poincaré-Birkhoff-Witt theorem, which states that the ordered basis of a Lie algebra has a unique representation in terms of the BCH formula.

What are some practical applications of the Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff formula?

The Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff formula has many practical applications in mathematics and physics. It is used in the study of quantum mechanics, general relativity, and differential geometry. It also has applications in robotics, control theory, and computer graphics.

Are there any limitations to the Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff formula?

While the Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff formula is a useful tool in the study of Lie algebras, it does have some limitations. It can only be used for finite-dimensional Lie algebras and may not be applicable in certain cases, such as when the Lie algebra is non-associative.