Baker–Campbell–Hausdorff (CBH) Formula question

• Thread starter BlackHole213
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, the explicit CBH formula involves calculating multiple commutators using the values of r_i and s_i, where 1\leq i\leq n. These values represent the number of X's and Y's in the commutator and range from 0 to infinity. The formula is used to simplify expressions involving multiple commutators.
Physics news on Phys.org
BlackHole213 said:
I've been trying to understand the explicit CBH formula

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baker–...er.E2.80.93Campbell.E2.80.93Hausdorff_formula

However, I don't really understand how to know what the values of [itex]r_i[/itex] and [itex]s_i[/itex] are, where [itex]1\leq i\leq n[/itex].
Like it says,

Where sn and rn are non-negative integers.
The sum runs over all possible values of sn and rn, where sn + rn > 0. They apparently stand for the number of X's and Y's in the multiple commutator. (Glad I don't have to prove this! :wink:)

I agree, proving it would be awful, to say to least.

This may be a dumb question, but how do I know what the possible values of [itex]r_n[/itex] and [itex]s_n[/itex] are? I feel like I'm over-thinking this.

For example, if I consider [itex][X,Y][/itex], then [itex]r_n=s_n=r_1=s_1=1[/itex]. If I just had the BCH formula as written by Dynkin, how would I know that [itex]r_1=s_1=1[/itex] for [itex]n=1[/itex]?

What is the Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff (CBH) Formula?

The Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff (CBH) Formula is a mathematical identity used in the study of Lie algebras. It provides a way to calculate the exponential of a sum of two or more elements of a Lie algebra.

How is the CBH Formula used in physics?

The CBH Formula is used in physics to simplify calculations in quantum mechanics, specifically in the study of quantum systems with non-commuting operators. It allows for the calculation of higher-order commutators and is useful in the derivation of time-evolution operators.

Who developed the CBH Formula?

The CBH Formula was developed by mathematicians Henry Frederick Baker, John Edward Campbell, and Felix Hausdorff in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. However, it was not widely used until physicist Eugene Wigner applied it to quantum mechanics in the 1930s.

What are the applications of the CBH Formula?

The CBH Formula has a wide range of applications in mathematics and physics. It is used in the study of Lie algebras, group theory, differential geometry, and quantum mechanics. It is also used in the development of efficient numerical methods for solving differential equations.

Are there any limitations to the CBH Formula?

While the CBH Formula is a powerful tool in mathematics and physics, it does have some limitations. It only applies to Lie algebras and cannot be generalized to other algebraic structures. Additionally, it can become computationally expensive when dealing with larger Lie algebras or higher-order commutators.