Baking Pan Patterns: Causes & Explanations

• Thread starter kuahji
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Patterns
In summary: I'm pretty sure the grain orientation is referring to the direction of the metal's grain. It's possible that the metal is silver, grey, or white because of how the cookie dough was mixed, but it's more likely that the metal is brown because of the organic material (oil or cookie dough). The metal is also likely to be silver, grey, or white due to grain orientation, which is somewhat random. The brown coloration would seem to be from organic material, oil, or cookie dough. Are you sure about the grain orientation statement? I assume this is some aluminum alloy baking sheet, there's no way the grain size is on the order of centimeters, right? If so, then the grain boundaries might be migrating
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, I'll take a blind guess.

Ever notice how cookies are not consistent and have natural ridges because the dough is not homogeneous?

http://aimfundraising.com/images/home-cookiedough.jpg [Broken]

Perhaps this pattern is the result of oil dropping down through the crevices of the cookie and then spreading out into circles, but the edges are stopped from spreading by their tension (when it reaches the outside edge of the cookie) and the walls formed under the cookie due to the ridges and non homogeneous dough.

You could probably test this by over mixing a cookie dough that contains no other particulates and then forming it into a cookie shape with a uniform bottom. Then you could maybe use a tooth pick to carve patterns into the bottoms of some of them and see if the patterns that emerge on the steel are halted by the lines. On some cookies you could perhaps put a toothpick hole straight through it and widen the top of the cookie so it slopes towards the hole at any point. I think the oil would come up and make it's way to the hole and cause a nice big shiny circular brushed metal looking thing right under it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, reminds me of metallic grain growth. Its most likely random nucleation points of oil from the cookie, they spread out from their nucleation point until they hit each other, this causes grain boundaries, but the oil is looking to disperse so there is tension at the grain boundries.

I love when something I have done research on (2 published papers, abnormal sub-grain growth) applies to everyday life; I even have my old F77 code that could simulate this... a new paper?

Hepth said:
Yeah, reminds me of metallic grain growth. Its most likely random nucleation points of oil from the cookie, they spread out from their nucleation point until they hit each other, this causes grain boundaries, but the oil is looking to disperse so there is tension at the grain boundries.

I love when something I have done research on (2 published papers, abnormal sub-grain growth) applies to everyday life; I even have my old F77 code that could simulate this... a new paper?

Cookie research? Good luck funding that.

kuahji said:
So a friend of mine baked some cookies, then noticed some patterns on the baking pan. The person asked me what caused these patterns, or even if they are just random... any ideas?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/94/34124410150294532442373.jpg/
The variation in the metal (silver, grey or white) is due to grain orientation, which is somewhat random. The brown coloration would seem to be from organic material, oil or cookie dough.

Astronuc said:
The variation in the metal (silver, grey or white) is due to grain orientation, which is somewhat random. The brown coloration would seem to be from organic material, oil or cookie dough.

Are you sure about the grain orientation statement? I assume this is some aluminum alloy baking sheet, there's no way the grain size is on the order of centimeters, right?

edit: unless due to constant baking it is repeated being annealed and so much energy is in the system grain boundaries constantly migrate and the ones you see left are the ones where the misorientation(sic) between the two regions are maximal. (in terms of boundary energy)

1. What are common causes of uneven baking in my cakes?

Uneven baking in cakes can be caused by a variety of factors, such as using an incorrect baking pan size, oven temperature fluctuations, or unevenly distributed batter in the pan. It can also be caused by using a dark-colored pan, which absorbs more heat and can lead to overbrowning on the bottom of the cake.

2. How do baking pan materials affect the outcome of my baked goods?

The material of your baking pan can have a significant impact on the outcome of your baked goods. Metal pans, such as aluminum or stainless steel, heat up quickly and evenly, resulting in evenly baked goods. Glass pans, on the other hand, heat up more slowly and retain heat longer, which can lead to overbrowning and uneven baking. Non-stick pans can also affect the texture and appearance of your baked goods.

3. What is the best way to prevent my cakes from sticking to the pan?

To prevent your cakes from sticking to the pan, make sure to properly grease and flour the pan before adding the batter. You can also use parchment paper or non-stick baking spray to ensure easy removal. Additionally, avoid using metal utensils on non-stick pans, as they can scratch the surface and cause sticking.

4. Can I use any baking pan for a specific recipe?

No, it is important to use the specific type and size of baking pan called for in a recipe. Using a different pan can affect the baking time and temperature, resulting in an unevenly baked or overcooked product. It is also important to follow the instructions for greasing and flouring the pan, as mentioned in the previous question.

5. How can I properly care for and maintain my baking pans?

To ensure the longevity and effectiveness of your baking pans, it is important to properly care for and maintain them. Avoid using metal utensils on non-stick pans, as mentioned earlier, and always hand wash your pans with warm, soapy water. Avoid using harsh scrubbers or abrasive cleaners, as they can damage the surface of the pan. It is also recommended to let your pans cool completely before washing, as sudden temperature changes can warp the metal. Proper storage, such as stacking pans with a layer of parchment paper in between, can also prevent scratches and damage.