1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Balance H2O2 - H2+H2O

1. Apr 21, 2008 #1
    My daughter has been asked to balance this chemical equation by her 7th grade Nun. Can anyone tell me if it can be done and how? Thanks

H2O2 - H2+H2O

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2008 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Focus on the number of oxygen atoms in the two relevant compounds. You see two of them on the left but only one of them on the right. Actually, the reaction written seems not to be the best representative of what might occur. Water and Hydrogen gas from just Hydrogen Peroxide? You would need 2 waters on the right. Now, you do not have a balance of Hydrogen atoms. Maybe another source of Hydrogen atoms on the left is needed?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2008
  4. Apr 22, 2008 #3
    I poked around the 'net for awhile, just to see if I could find that rxn, but...

I'm thinking you have the wrong chemical equation. I could be wrong, but generally, hydrogen peroxide decomposes to make water and oxygen. I thought maybe this was a redox rxn, but running the rxn as written through google, and looking for "hydrogen peroxide as a redox rxn" pulled up nothing that looks like that.

I could be wrong, but that's what I'm thinking.

5. Apr 22, 2008 #4
    I think Barfolumu is right; this reaction should form O2 and H2O; not hydrogen. If you drop hydrogen peroxide into a plate of aerobic bacteria, their catalases will decompose the hydrogen peroxide, as indicated by oxygen bubbles forming.

6. Apr 22, 2008 #5
    Thanks Guys

Hi I'm Casey and my 7th grade teacher admitted that she copied the equation wrong on the board. The right equation was H2O2-H2O+O2
    I was able to balance it myself thank you for helping me figure out my teacher was wrong.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?