Can the H2O2-H2O+O2 equation be balanced?

• Thread starter banger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Balance
In summary, a 7th grade student's teacher had given them a chemical equation to balance, but upon further examination, it was found to be incorrect. The student was able to balance the equation themselves with the correct equation being H2O2-H2O+O2.
banger
My daughter has been asked to balance this chemical equation by her 7th grade Nun. Can anyone tell me if it can be done and how? Thanks

H2O2 - H2+H2O

Physics news on Phys.org
Focus on the number of oxygen atoms in the two relevant compounds. You see two of them on the left but only one of them on the right. Actually, the reaction written seems not to be the best representative of what might occur. Water and Hydrogen gas from just Hydrogen Peroxide? You would need 2 waters on the right. Now, you do not have a balance of Hydrogen atoms. Maybe another source of Hydrogen atoms on the left is needed?

Last edited by a moderator:
I poked around the 'net for awhile, just to see if I could find that rxn, but...

I'm thinking you have the wrong chemical equation. I could be wrong, but generally, hydrogen peroxide decomposes to make water and oxygen. I thought maybe this was a redox rxn, but running the rxn as written through google, and looking for "hydrogen peroxide as a redox rxn" pulled up nothing that looks like that.

I could be wrong, but that's what I'm thinking.

I think Barfolumu is right; this reaction should form O2 and H2O; not hydrogen. If you drop hydrogen peroxide into a plate of aerobic bacteria, their catalases will decompose the hydrogen peroxide, as indicated by oxygen bubbles forming.

Thanks Guys

Hi I'm Casey and my 7th grade teacher admitted that she copied the equation wrong on the board. The right equation was H2O2-H2O+O2
I was able to balance it myself thank you for helping me figure out my teacher was wrong.

1. What is the purpose of balancing the equation H2O2 - H2+H2O?

The purpose of balancing this equation is to ensure that the number of atoms of each element on both sides of the equation is equal. This is necessary in order to accurately represent the reaction and conserve mass and charge.

2. How do you balance the equation H2O2 - H2+H2O?

To balance this equation, you must first count the number of atoms of each element on each side of the equation. Then, you can adjust the coefficients in front of each molecule to make the number of atoms of each element equal on both sides.

3. What are the products of the reaction H2O2 - H2+H2O?

The products of this reaction are hydrogen gas (H2) and water (H2O).

4. What does the balanced equation for H2O2 - H2+H2O look like?

The balanced equation for this reaction is 2H2O2 - 2H2 + O2.

5. How does balancing this equation relate to the Law of Conservation of Mass?

The Law of Conservation of Mass states that matter cannot be created or destroyed in a chemical reaction. Balancing the equation for H2O2 - H2+H2O ensures that the same number of atoms are present on both sides of the reaction, thus conserving mass.