1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Balanced wye-wye system

1. Jun 21, 2006 #1
    I would like to know what I'm doing wrong here. I am not getting what the book has.

Q: In a balanced three-phase wye-wye system, the load impedance is [itex] 8+j4\Omega [/itex]. The source has phase sequence abc and [itex] \bar V_{an} = 120<0\,\,V_{rms} [/itex]. If the load voltage [itex] \bar V_{AN} = 116.62<-1.33\,\,V_{rms} [/itex] determine the line impedence.

Please excuse me being lazy and not looking up how to properly represent polar numbers in LaTeX. Thus [itex] X < 90 [/itex] would mean a magnitude of [itex] X [/itex] with a phase angle of [itex] 90 [/itex] (in degrees).

A:
    This is how I'm going about it:
    [tex] \bar Z_{load} = 8+j4 \Omega [/tex]
    [tex] \bar V_{an} = 120 < 0 \,\,V_{rms} [/tex]
    [tex] \bar V_{AN} = 111.62 < -1.33 \,\,V_{rms} [/tex]
    [tex] \bar Z_{line} = ? [/tex]

So I simply setup a voltage divider:
    [tex] \bar V_{AN} = \bar V_{an}\left( \frac{\bar Z_{load}}{\bar Z_{line} + \bar Z_{load}}\right) [/tex]

Solving for [itex] \bar Z_{line} [/itex] yields:

[tex] \bar Z_{line} = \frac{\bar V_{an}\bar Z_{load}}{\bar V_{AN}}-\bar Z_{load} = \frac{(120<0)(8+j4)}{(116.62<-1.33)}-8+j4
    =0.134+0.306j \Omega[/tex]

The book gets [itex] 0.5 + 0.5j \Omega [/itex]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2006 #2
    I am not a power expert, but it looks right to me. You math is right too. Tell me what your prof says.

4. Jul 20, 2006 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I'm guessing the difference has to do with the Y shape of the load and line impedances. When they say that the load impedance is 8+j4, is that each of the three Y impedances, or the parallel combination of them, or some other variation? I haven't worked with Y-delta stuff much, so I don't know what the convention is. But maybe that's why the book has a different answer.

EDIT -- Oops, I see now that this question was from last month. Sorry for the slow response, FrogPad. What turned out to be the error?

5. Jul 28, 2006 #4
    Well I actually forgot about this post. This was for a summer class I was taking, so things were flying by. I'm actually back home right now (I go to school in a different state), so I don't have anything from that class with me.

This post will either have to wait until I get back to school, or be lost forever.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?