How to Balance Chemical Equations Involving Hydrogen and Atoms?

• Thread starter Draggu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemical
In summary, the homework statement is to create a new product that is made from mixing different metals and adding water.
Draggu

Homework Statement

1. Li + H2O ->
2. K + H2O ->
3. Na + H2O ->
4. Ca + H2O ->
5. Mg + H2O ->
6. Cs + H2O ->
7. H + At ->
8. Na + At ->

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1. 2Li + 2H2O -> H2 + 2LiOH
2 & 3: Same for 1.

Others I have no idea how to do. I was NOT taught these and she somehow thinks we were.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have a periodic table?
Do you know about groups and valence?
So how many OH each of the metals needs to make a stabel compound.

ps. In your answer, how many H are on the right side of the equation?

mgb_phys said:
Do you know about groups and valence?
So how many OH each of the metals needs to make a stabel compound.

THe main problem is what the new product is. How would I know what Na + At, would create, etc,

Lithium is group 1 so it has one outer electron, and so it needs one OH group to plug into.
Sodium/Potassium are also group one, Magnesium and Calcium are group 2 so have 2 outer electrons and can plug into two OH groups

mgb_phys said:
Lithium is group 1 so it has one outer electron, and so it needs one OH group to plug into.
Sodium/Potassium are also group one, Magnesium and Calcium are group 2 so have 2 outer electrons and can plug into two OH groups

I don't really understand. Can you show me examples?

mgb_phys said:

Four

Draggu said:
Four
Sorry I miscounted - I thought you had made a mistake.

Draggu said:
I don't really understand. Can you show me examples?
Do you know why it is 2Li + 2H2O -> H2 + 2LiOH ?

Lithium has 1 outer electron available for this sort of chemical reaction.
Oxygen is 2 electrons short.
Hydrogen is a little odd, it can be thought of as having one extra electron or one short - it has a single electron in an orbit that can hold 2.

The OH group has 2 spare slots on the oxygen and one of them filled by the hydrogen, so one free slot overall.
Lithium as we said has one extra electron which fits into this slot, making LiOH.
Magnesium has 2 outer electrons so needs to attach two OH groups = Mg(OH)2

Then it's just a matter of counting how many H2O you need to make everything balance.

mgb_phys said:
Do you know why it is 2Li + 2H2O -> H2 + 2LiOH ?

Lithium has 1 outer electron available for this sort of chemical reaction.
Oxygen is 2 electrons short.
Hydrogen is a little odd, it can be thought of as having one extra electron or one short - it has a single electron in an orbit that can hold 2.

The OH group has 2 spare slots on the oxygen and one of them filled by the hydrogen, so one free slot overall.
Lithium as we said has one extra electron which fits into this slot, making LiOH.
Magnesium has 2 outer electrons so needs to attach two OH groups = Mg(OH)2

Then it's just a matter of counting how many H2O you need to make everything balance.

So then Mg + 2H2O -> H2 + Mg(OH)2

Draggu said:
So then Mg + 2H2O -> H2 + Mg(OH)2

Correct.

mgb_phys said:
Correct.

Good. What about Hydrogen and Astatine, and sodium and Astatine.

H + At = ... /kill myself

Bizarre example, Astatine (if you could get any) is chemically the same as Chlorine - what is the formula for Sodium and Chlorine

mgb_phys said:
Bizarre example, Astatine (if you could get any) is chemically the same as Chlorine - what is the formula for Sodium and Chlorine

So Na + At -> NaAt

At + H - > AtH?

Yer, or HAt is normally the order.

And you have to balance it so that it's H2 or At2

mgb_phys said:
And you have to balance it so that it's H2 or At2

Why?

Because that's how it occurs as as molecules on the left side of the equation

Does hydrogen travel around in simple atoms? Is it stable in relation to electron valency?

EDIT:
Draggu said:
7. H + At ->
It is missing in the original question.

The Bob

What is a chemical equation?

A chemical equation is a symbolic representation of a chemical reaction, in which the reactants and products are written using chemical formulas and symbols.

Why is it important to balance chemical equations?

Balancing chemical equations is important because it ensures that the law of conservation of mass is followed. This means that the number of atoms of each element is equal on both sides of the equation, indicating that no atoms are created or destroyed during a chemical reaction.

How do you balance a chemical equation?

To balance a chemical equation, you need to adjust the coefficients (numbers in front of the chemical formulas) until the number of atoms of each element is the same on both sides of the equation. This is achieved by using the principle of conservation of mass and following specific rules and techniques.

What happens if a chemical equation is not balanced?

If a chemical equation is not balanced, it means that the law of conservation of mass is not followed. This can lead to incorrect predictions about the reactants and products in a chemical reaction and can also affect the efficiency and outcome of the reaction.

Can a chemical equation be balanced by changing the subscripts?

No, the subscripts in a chemical formula cannot be changed to balance an equation. The only way to balance an equation is by adjusting the coefficients, which represent the number of molecules or atoms in a reaction. Changing subscripts would result in a different chemical compound altogether.