Balancing Chemical equations

• Thread starter alingy1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemical
In summary, the reaction between 300 g of ethane and 650 g of chlorine produced 490 g of C2H5Cl, giving a percent yield of 82.9%. The balancing of the reaction and calculations for theoretical yield only consider the main product, C2H5Cl, and do not take into account any other minor products that may be formed. The amount of HCl produced is also related to the main product and does not affect the yield.
alingy1

Homework Statement

"The reaction of ethane gas (C2H6) with chlorine gas produces C2H5Cl as its main product (along with HCl). In addition, the reaction invariably produces a variety of other minor products, including C2H4Cl2, C2H3Cl3, and others. Naturally, the pro- duction of these minor products reduces the yield of the main product. Calculate the percent yield of C2H5Cl if the reaction of 300. g of ethane with 650. g of chlorine produced 490. g of C2H5Cl." (Zumdahl, Chemistry, 2013)

Homework Equations

Balancing and math principles.

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, I have the answer in the solution manual. It gives out 82.9%.
But, the thing I do not understand about the way they do the problem is this:
They use the formula C2H6+ Cl2-> C2H5Cl+ HCl
However, that's not what is really happening. There are other products formed.
I thought of this formula (which is missing ''the other'' products):
C2H6+ Cl2-> C2H5Cl+ HCl +C2H4Cl2+C2H3Cl3 + others
I found different ways of balancing this last formula if I ignore the others.

Why does the first equation give the right answer? Won't the other molecules intervene in the calculations?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, they don't. You can't be certain the other products were produced anyway. The other "products" COULD be unreacted starting material!

But, there still may be other products. I don't understand how those cannot have an impact on the reaction balancing.

Theoretical yield assumes only one product.

Note that in this particular case you can't uniquely balance reaction with several products. Each of these:

2C2H6 + 3Cl2 -> C2H5Cl + C2H4Cl2 + 3HCl

50C2H6 + 67Cl2 -> 33C2H5Cl + 17C2H4Cl2 + 67HCl

1028C2H6 + 1119Cl2 -> 937C2H5Cl + 91C2H4Cl2 + 1119HCl

is balanced OK. Which one of these is the correct one?

All of them could be correct i guess. Hmm, you are intriguing me here. Theoretical yield applies only when there is one product? What about the HCl?

Sorry, lousy wording, one main product. HCl doesn't matter, as its amount is related to the main product - you don't need more ethane to produce HCl.

1. What is the purpose of balancing chemical equations?

The purpose of balancing chemical equations is to ensure that the number of atoms on the reactant side of the equation is equal to the number of atoms on the product side. This is necessary because atoms cannot be created or destroyed in a chemical reaction, so the total number of each type of atom must remain the same.

2. How do you balance a chemical equation?

To balance a chemical equation, you must adjust the coefficients (numbers in front of the chemical formulas) to ensure that the number of atoms on each side of the equation is equal. You can do this by using the law of conservation of mass and manipulating the coefficients until the equation is balanced.

3. Do all chemical equations need to be balanced?

Yes, all chemical equations must be balanced in order to accurately represent a chemical reaction. Unbalanced equations do not follow the law of conservation of mass and do not accurately show the reactants and products involved in the reaction.

4. Can you change the subscripts in a chemical formula to balance an equation?

No, you cannot change the subscripts in a chemical formula to balance an equation. Subscripts represent the number of atoms in a molecule and changing them would alter the chemical formula itself, making it a different compound. Only coefficients can be changed in order to balance an equation.

5. What happens if a chemical equation cannot be balanced?

If a chemical equation cannot be balanced, it is likely that the equation is incorrect or incomplete. You may need to revisit the reaction or seek additional information in order to balance the equation properly. In some cases, it may not be possible to balance an equation if the reaction violates the law of conservation of mass.