1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Balancing Equations

1. Oct 12, 2005 #1
    I don't know if I solved this problem correctly.

Balance the equation:

CO2+ Mg -> MgC + O2

Is this the right end result and can someone help me figure out the state of matter for each.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2005 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's hard to know if it's the right end result if we don't see what you started with. Please show/explain your reasoning first.

4. Oct 12, 2005 #3
    well... the problem only gave me the first part of the equation which was the CO2 + Mg. This is the chemical process that occurs when dry ice is mixed with burning Magnesium pellets, which creates this fire work type of reaction. I figured that the magnesium and carbon will combine and release oxygen.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2005
  5. Oct 12, 2005 #4
    The actual question is Mg reacts with CO2 (Carbon dioxide) to give a white solid and a black solid. Provide the balanced equation for this reaction.

6. Oct 12, 2005 #5
  7. Oct 12, 2005 #6
    I didn't think that Magnesium would combine with oxygen... thnx stmoe.

8. Oct 12, 2005 #7

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your answer can not be correct because :

1. The existence of something like MgC would require Mg to have a +4 oxidation state or C to have a +2 oxidation state. Both are extremely rare.

2. You want two solid products. You have one solid and one gas.

Anyway, the correct answer is posted by stmoe.

9. Oct 12, 2005 #8

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, what do you think happens when a magnesium ribbon burns in air ? It is among the most spectacular and violent oxidations you'll ever see !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?