Balancing Forces: Solving 2 Problems

• Thread starter Hollysmoke
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, the conversation discusses two problems: 1) calculating the compression force on beams supporting a water pail, the outward force on the well's wall, and the vertical compression on the bricks below, and 2) determining the mass of a bird perched on a telephone wire based on the sag of the wire and the tension in it. The second question involves using vectors and resolving them into x and y components to find the resultant force on the bird. The length of the wire and the sag are also used to determine the angle.
Hollysmoke
I'm having trouble with two problems and I was hoping if someone could point me in the right direction go about solving them:

1) Two beams support a 4.0kg pail of water above an open well. How much compression force is exerted on each beam by the water pail, what outward force do the two beams exert on the well's wall, and what additional vertical compression is exerted on the bricks under the beams?

2) A bird lands on a telephone wire midway between the two poles 18m apart. The wire (assumed weightless) sags by 52 cm. If the tension in the wire is 90N, what is the mass of the bird?

Physics news on Phys.org
draw the situation and then construct appropriate vectors to answer you the questions.

For the second question, should I resolve the vectors into x and y then use the distances to find sigma t?

I think the forces on the bird are the tensions its weight, resultant is zero, use the length of wire and the sag to fing the angle.

What is balancing forces?

Balancing forces refers to the concept of keeping opposing forces in equilibrium or balance. This is important in various scientific fields, such as physics and engineering, to ensure stability and prevent any unwanted movements or reactions.

What are the two main problems in balancing forces?

The two main problems in balancing forces are determining the magnitude and direction of the forces involved, and finding the point of equilibrium where all forces cancel out.

How do you solve for the magnitude and direction of forces in balancing forces?

To solve for the magnitude and direction of forces in balancing forces, you can use vector addition or trigonometric equations. Vector addition involves adding the individual force vectors together, while trigonometric equations use the angles and known values to solve for the unknown forces.

What is the point of equilibrium in balancing forces?

The point of equilibrium is the point at which all forces acting on an object are balanced and cancel each other out, resulting in no net force and no movement.

What are some real-life applications of balancing forces?

Balancing forces is important in various real-life scenarios, such as building structures, designing vehicles, and even playing sports. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the mechanics of the human body and maintaining balance and stability.