Balancing Equations Using the Half-Cell Method

• Thread starter BH20
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Method
In summary, the half cell method is used to balance equations. You need to break the equation up into redox half-cell reactions and assign oxidation numbers to each compound. You then take note of the commonalities between each side of the reaction and balance the charges on each side. Lastly, you put the equations back together to get your balanced equation.
BH20
It aks me to balance some equations, using this method. It says to show both half-cell reactions, and identify them as oxidation or reduction.

a) SO3^2 + MnO4- + H+ <----- Mn2+ + SO4^2- + H2O (l)
------->

b) Cl2(g) + OH- <----- Cl- + ClO3- + H2O(l)
------>

c) SO4^2- + I- + H+ <----- S2- + I2(s) + H2O(l)
------>

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
SO what have you done so far?

Do you know how to check if a reaction is an oxidation of a particular species or a reduction (or none)?

You need to show some work instead of just posting the question.

Start by explaining the difference between oxidation and reduction.

This might help give you a clue as to the meaning of oxidation and reduction. (follow the link) :bugeye:

Do you know anything about http://www.science.uwaterloo.ca/~cchieh/cact/c123/halfcell.html?

Well, an oxidized substance is one that has lost electrons in the process of getting oxidized and a reduction substance is one that has gained in the process of reduction.

I don't understand the half-cell method though. I have looked at examples of balancing an equation using that method but I don't get it.

So, after its balanced, using this method, I would know which is the oxidized and reduced substance but I don't know how to do the half-cell method..so if someone can show me at least a) I can do b and c.

Thanks

To balance equations by the half cell method you first need to break your equation up into the redox half-cell reactions.

Assign your oxidation numbers to each compound. (Oxygen is -2, Hydrogen is +1...). The overall number of the compound is assigned already in the reaction equation. Take [tex]MnO_4^-^1[/tex] for example. You have 4 oxygen's which each have an oxidation number of -2 (total is -8). But the overall number is -1. So the oxidation number for Mn has to be +7 then to get the net -1.

Do the same for the rest of the equation now.

Once you have done this take note of the commonalities with each side of the reaction. Sulphur and Manganese are on both sides of the equation. Taking what you know of oxidation and reduction you should be able to determine which reaction is oxidation and which is reduction.

Now that you have your two half reactions balance them by observation. Don't forget to balance the charge on both sides by adding electrons. The net doesn't have to be zero, but it does have to be the same on both sides.
Finally take the two balanced half reactions and balance the electrons (they should be on opposite sides of the reaction due to redox) and put the equations back together to get your balanced equation.

Last edited:

1. What is the Balancing - Half-Cell method?

The Balancing - Half-Cell method is a technique used in electrochemistry to balance redox reactions. It involves splitting the overall reaction into two half-reactions and balancing each half-reaction separately before combining them to obtain a balanced overall reaction.

2. How is the Balancing - Half-Cell method different from other balancing methods?

The Balancing - Half-Cell method differs from other balancing methods, such as the oxidation number method or the ion-electron method, in that it takes into account the transfer of electrons between reactants and products. This method is based on the principles of conservation of mass and charge.

3. What are the steps involved in using the Balancing - Half-Cell method?

The steps for using the Balancing - Half-Cell method are:

• Identify the reactants and products in the redox reaction.
  • Split the overall reaction into two half-reactions, one oxidation and one reduction.
  • Balance each half-reaction separately by balancing the atoms and charges.
  • Multiply each half-reaction by a coefficient to ensure that the number of electrons transferred is equal in both half-reactions.
  • Add the two half-reactions together to obtain the balanced overall reaction.

4. When should the Balancing - Half-Cell method be used?

The Balancing - Half-Cell method should be used when balancing redox reactions that involve substances in aqueous solutions. This method is also useful for balancing reactions that occur in acidic or basic solutions, as it allows for the addition of H+ or OH- ions to balance the charges.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using the Balancing - Half-Cell method?

One limitation of the Balancing - Half-Cell method is that it does not take into account the activity of the substances involved in the reaction. This can lead to discrepancies between the expected and actual reactions in certain cases. Additionally, this method may not be suitable for reactions that involve complex ions or non-aqueous solutions.