Balancing Neutralization Equations

• Thread starter stu12345
  • Start date
In summary, the two chemical equations given involve neutralization and result in metal salt and water products. The correct formulas are LiNO3 and Na2SO4. The first equation is balanced, while the second equation still needs to be balanced.
stu12345

Homework Statement

I'm trying to solve these two chemical equations.

Homework Equations

HNO3 + LiOH ---> ?H2SO4 + NaOH ----> ?

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that these two equations are going to be neutralized resulting in a metal salt + water.

So here is my attempt at it.

HNO3 + LiOH ---> LiNO3 + HOH (H2O)
H2SO4 + NaOH ---> NaSO4 + HOH (H2O)

I'm not sure whether I've come to the correct end results to the equations.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are on the right track, although the second one is not balanced yet, and formula of sodium sulfate is different.

For subscripts and superscripts use [noparse][/noparse] and [noparse][/noparse] tags.

H2S04 + NaOH ---> Na2SO4 + HOH (H2O) Is this correct? I know it isn't balanced yet but is the sodium sulphate correct now?

Yes, that's the correct formula.

You are still doing fancy things for subscripts - no need for that. Enter Na2SO4 as [noparse]Na2SO4[/noparse]. You can use subscript (X2) and superscript (X2) buttons for that if you use advanced message editor.

I think I got it now.

H2SO4 + 2NsOH ---> Na2SO4 + 2HOH

Is this correct? I'm pretty sure this is. Thanks for teaching me about the subscripts. Its always great when sites have that.

stu12345 said:
H2SO4 + 2NsOH ---> Na2SO4 + 2HOH

Apart from typo and the fact that HOH should be written as H2O - you are right.

1. What is the purpose of balancing neutralization equations?

Neutralization equations are used to show the chemical reaction between an acid and a base. Balancing the equations ensures that the number of atoms of each element is the same on both sides of the equation, representing a complete and accurate representation of the reaction.

2. How do you balance neutralization equations?

To balance a neutralization equation, you need to make sure that the number of atoms of each element is equal on both sides of the equation. This can be achieved by adding coefficients in front of the compounds or elements that need to be balanced. These coefficients represent the number of molecules or atoms present in the equation.

3. What are the steps involved in balancing neutralization equations?

The steps for balancing neutralization equations are as follows:

• Write out the unbalanced equation, making sure to include the state of matter of each compound (s for solid, l for liquid, g for gas, and aq for aqueous).
  • Identify the elements that are not balanced and determine how many atoms of each element are present on each side of the equation.
  • Add coefficients in front of the compounds or elements that need to be balanced. Start with the most complex compound and work your way to the simplest compound.
  • Check if the equation is balanced by counting the number of atoms of each element on both sides. If they are equal, the equation is balanced. If not, adjust the coefficients and check again.
  • Once the equation is balanced, double-check to make sure the coefficients are in the lowest possible ratio.

4. Are there any guidelines or rules to follow when balancing neutralization equations?

Yes, there are a few guidelines to follow when balancing neutralization equations:

• Start by balancing the elements that appear in only one compound on each side of the equation.
  • Balance hydrogen atoms first, followed by oxygen atoms.
  • When balancing polyatomic ions, treat them as a whole unit and balance them as you would a single element.
  • Remember to always check if the coefficients are in the lowest possible ratio.

5. Can neutralization equations be balanced without using coefficients?

No, neutralization equations must be balanced using coefficients. This ensures that the number of atoms of each element is equal on both sides of the equation. Without the use of coefficients, the equation would not accurately represent the chemical reaction taking place.