Why is unbalanced caused by a centrifugal force?

• Thread starter koolraj09
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rotating
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of inertia force and its relation to balancing of rotating masses. It also addresses the paradox of centrifugal force being a pseudo force and its role in unbalancing a rotating shaft. The experts clarify that in reality, the shaft is unbalanced due to the centrifugal force, and it is only in a non-inertial frame of reference that it appears to be balanced. The balance is maintained by a reaction force from the axle, and if the connection is broken, the shaft will fly off.
koolraj09
Hi guys.
Firstly I want to know what is inertia force? Is it a real force?
Then regarding balancing of rotating masses, why is unbalanced caused by a centrifugal force? I mean I've learned in my intermediate that centrifugal force is a pseudo force and it is only to be taken into consideration when we are in non inertial frame of reference. That means centrifugal force(& indirectly unbalance) will come into picture only when we're in non-inertial frame of reference. But this doesn't happen in reality. What is the reason behind this paradox?
Can anyone explain?
Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
hi koolraj09! :smile:
koolraj09 said:
I mean I've learned in my intermediate that centrifugal force is a pseudo force and it is only to be taken into consideration when we are in non inertial frame of reference. That means centrifugal force(& indirectly unbalance) will come into picture only when we're in non-inertial frame of reference. But this doesn't happen in reality.

it does happen in reality …

in reality, we often prefer a https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=87"

for example, in any vehicle turning in a circle, calculating forces within the vehicle is far easier in a rotating frame :smile:

(and, by coincidence, I've just written in https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=3028090" in a rotating frame)
Then regarding balancing of rotating masses, why is unbalanced caused by a centrifugal force?

i don't understand :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi tiny tim.
What I mean to say is consider a rotating shaft. If the shaft is unbalanced it means that it's c.g. is not at the axis of rotation. Then comes into play our centrifugal force...this is quoted by most of the textbooks.
So what I really want to ask is that in reality the shaft is really unbalanced. But if we look from non inertial frame of reference then shaft is unbalanced because centrifugal force is there in this case. Now if we look at the shaft from an non-inertial frame of reference then it's perfectly balanced. But it's contradictory to reality.

koolraj09 said:
Now if we look at the shaft from an non-inertial frame of reference then it's perfectly balanced.

no!

the shaft is not balanced, because the axle can feel the shaft tugging at it … if the shaft came loose from the axle, it would fly away (instead of continuing to rotate on the spot)

in the https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=87" from the axle on the shaft, radially inward from the c.o.m.

… it balances the centrifugal force, keeping the shaft in equilibrium

(if the c.o.m. was at the axle, the shaft would be balanced, and there would be no reaction force)

in the inertial frame, there is the same reaction force

… it has no force balancing it, and so the c.o.m is forced to accelerate towards the axle, resulting (obviously! :rolleyes:) in a rotation

in either frame the shaft is unbalanced …

if the connection is broken, the shaft will fly off​

Last edited by a moderator:

What is balancing of rotating masses?

Balancing of rotating masses is the process of ensuring that the center of mass of a rotating object coincides with the axis of rotation. This is important for smooth operation and to avoid excessive vibrations or damage to the rotating machinery.

Why is balancing of rotating masses important?

Balancing of rotating masses is important because it helps to improve the performance and longevity of rotating machinery. Unbalanced rotating masses can cause vibrations, which can lead to premature wear and tear, as well as increased energy consumption.

How is balancing of rotating masses achieved?

There are various methods for balancing rotating masses, including trial weights, dynamic balancing, and computer-aided balancing. These methods involve adding or removing weight from specific locations on the rotating object to achieve balance.

What are the consequences of unbalanced rotating masses?

Unbalanced rotating masses can have serious consequences, such as increased wear and tear, reduced efficiency, and even catastrophic failure. They can also cause excessive noise and vibrations, which can be dangerous for both the machinery and the people operating it.

What are some common applications of balancing of rotating masses?

Balancing of rotating masses is important in various industries, including automotive, aerospace, and manufacturing. It is used in applications such as engines, turbines, and fans, as well as in household appliances like washing machines and refrigerators.