Power Outage & Mysterious Sky Objects in My Neighborhood

• Thread starter Cladson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power Sky
In summary, the speaker lives in a well-lighted neighborhood but has been experiencing power outages lately. They saw a red object low in the sky to the northeast, possibly Mars, and a flickering star that changed colors. They were unable to identify the objects with their telescope. The speaker also mentions a bright bluish band in the sky with many stars, possibly part of the Milky Way. Another person suggests that at 9:00, Venus and Jupiter were visible in the sky.
Cladson
I live in a pretty well lighted neighborhood.Lately the entire neighborhoods power has been going out. It makes it completely black outside.I saw a red star or something very low to the horizon northeast in the sky?anyone know what that may be?I also saw a star that was flickering all sorts of colors. Ex Blue green and a redish tint?I viewed it with my telescope but that didn't help

Astronomy news on Phys.org
For identification of the red object, it would be very helpfull if you tell what time it was when you saw it (snd where you are). It could have been Mars (if you live in the south).

Yes i live in the pan handle of flordia.It was west in the sky and close tot the horizon around 8:30-9:00p.m. To bad I didn't have my telescope with me.Also later that night the power went off again around 11:30-12:15 and I went outside it was completely pitch black and looking directly up, straight through the middle of the sky was a bright bluish band cloud looking thing with a lot of stars in it.Is this part of the milkyway?

Last edited:
At 9:00, in the wsw, Venus is 10 degrees above the horizon and Jupiter is slightly above and to the left of it. Venus is ~4x brighter than Jupiter.

1. What could be causing the power outage in my neighborhood?

There are several reasons why a power outage may occur in a neighborhood. It could be due to severe weather conditions, such as a thunderstorm or high winds, which can damage power lines and cause them to go out. It could also be due to an equipment failure or a planned maintenance outage by the power company.

2. Is the power outage related to the mysterious sky objects I've seen?

It is unlikely that the power outage is directly related to the mysterious sky objects. While it may seem like a coincidence, power outages are more commonly caused by natural or human-related factors.

3. What are some possible explanations for the mysterious sky objects?

There are a few possible explanations for the mysterious sky objects. They could be drones or other remote-controlled aircraft, weather balloons, or even satellites. It is also possible that they are a natural phenomenon, such as a meteor shower or an aurora.

4. Could the mysterious sky objects be a sign of extraterrestrial life?

While it is always exciting to consider the possibility of extraterrestrial life, it is highly unlikely that the mysterious sky objects are related to aliens. The most plausible explanations are that they are man-made or natural objects.

5. Should I be concerned about the mysterious sky objects or the power outage?

In most cases, there is no need to be concerned about either the mysterious sky objects or the power outage. However, if you notice any suspicious activity or if the power outage lasts for an extended period, it is best to contact your local authorities or power company for further assistance.