1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ball against a wall, statics.

1. Sep 9, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Here is a horrible diagram representing the problem:

Picture1.png

The problem is to find the minimum coefficient of static friction between the ball and the wall so that the ball remains motionless.

2. Relevant equations

torque = r*F

3. The attempt at a solution

I've divided the tension force into x and y components, Tsinθ and Tcosθ respectively. Therefore the normal force (the wall pushing against the ball) is N = Tsinθ. The friction force is = uN = u(Tsinθ).

So now, because the ball is motionless, the two torques must cancel each other out. So Torque from the tension T(t) = (radius)*T and torque from the friction force T(f) = radius*Friction force = radius* uTsinθ. This gives u = (1/sinθ)... but I'm really not sure... also, how do I minimize this u?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Looks good to me. Setting the static friction force to equal to its maximum value μN (as you did) will give you the smallest μ. (Generally static friction ≤ μN.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook