Find the Minimum Velocity Needed for Ball to Go Up Step - Hint Included!

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem with a ball going up a step without slipping. The expert suggests using momentum and energy conservation to find a solution and mentions the importance of the no-slip condition. They also wish good luck and a happy constitution day to all Spaniards.
Feynmanfan
What is the minimum velocity the ball should have in order to go up the step, considering it doesn't slip. Here's a picture.

I would be grateful if you could give me a hint.

Attachments

• problem.bmp
    3.3 KB · Views: 508
Physics news on Phys.org
is it that i didn't explain the problem correctly?

Please help me!

Your picture is very diffuse. Anyway, If I were you, I will take the momentum (torque) equilibrium at the point of contact between the ball and step. At that point

[tex] \sum F_i r_i >0 [/tex] in order to enhance the turning of the ball around the wedge.

Also, you should try with energy conservation (kinetic--->potential) if you want a gross estimation.

You need to break this up a bit:
You have been told that the ball will NOT slip at the corner; evidently this must mean that the velocity of the contact point of the ball is ZERO, throughout the motion (after contact is has been made)

A) The collision phase:
The angular momentum of the ball with respect to the corner must be conserved throughout the collision (why is that).
This gives you the resultant angular velocity just after the collision, in terms of the initially given parameters.
B) Post-collision phase:
Only gravity does work on the system here, due to the no-slip condition.
Hence, mechanical energy is conserved.

Good luck&good constitution day to all Spaniards!..:smile:

1. What is the formula for calculating the minimum velocity needed for a ball to go up a step?

The formula for calculating the minimum velocity needed for a ball to go up a step is v = √(2gh), where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the step.

2. How do you determine the height of the step in this problem?

The height of the step can be determined by measuring the vertical distance between the ground and the top of the step.

3. What is the significance of the hint in this problem?

The hint provided in this problem is important because it helps to guide the calculation process by providing a starting point and indicating which variables should be used in the formula.

4. Can this problem be solved using different units of measurement?

Yes, this problem can be solved using different units of measurement. However, it is important to ensure that all units are consistent and in the correct form (e.g. converting feet to meters if necessary) in order to get an accurate answer.

5. Are there any real-world applications for this problem?

Yes, there are several real-world applications for this problem, such as calculating the minimum speed needed for a rollercoaster to clear a loop, or determining the minimum takeoff speed for an airplane to clear an obstacle.