Why Does the Ball Leave the Tray at a Different Time Than Expected?

In summary: So the time it took should equal T/4+ the time it takes to get to the spot it leaves atT=.5464 secondsx=Acos(\omegat)x is .07420A is .13\omega=sqrt(k/m)=11.4979solving for t at displacement 0 I get t=.0837so my total time is .22
Punkyc7
A 1.2 kg horizontaal uniform tray is attached to a vertical ideal spring of force constant 195N/m and a 275 g metal ball is in the tray. The spring is below the tray, so it can oscillate up and down. The tray is then pushed down 13 cm below its equilibrium point called point A and released from rest.

how long does it take the ball to leave the tray from point A?

So the time it took should equal T/4+ the time it takes to get to the spot it leaves at

T=.5464

x=Acos([itex]\omega[/itex]t)

x is .07420
A is .13

[itex]\omega[/itex]=sqrt(k/m)=11.4979

solving for t at dsiplacement 0 I get t=.0837

so my total time is .22. Some reason that is not the right answer and i can't figure out where i went wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you decide that x is .07420 ? The period, T= .5464 seconds looks okay for the tray+ball on the spring.

Where do you suppose the "launch" point is?

the launch point is at point A so -.13m

for x I did -kx=mg

x=mg/k

1.475*9.81/195

=.0742m

Punkyc7 said:
the launch point is at point A so -.13m

for x I did -kx=mg

x=mg/k

1.475*9.81/195

=.0742m

Okay, so your x is the distance above point A where the spring+tray alone are at equilibrium (spring force balances gravitational force on tray). Let's call this point B.

When the tray+ball just pass point B (on the way upwards) the tray is just beginning to experience a deceleration due to the sum of spring and gravitational forces on the tray being zero at point B. This deceleration is still much less than g , so the ball will remain in contact with the tray. It's not until the downward acceleration of the tray begins to exceed g that the ball and tray will part.

So, where will the downward acceleration of the tray be g? Hint: acceleration at g sounds like free-fall...

but if you use x as .20 you can't take arccos

Punkyc7 said:
but if you use x as .20 you can't take arccos

Why would you be taking the arccos of a distance? Can't have (net) units in the arccos function argument...

Where did your 0.20 (meters?) come from?

because

x=Acos([itex]\omega[/itex]t)

im solving for t to add it to 1/4 the period.

is that not the right way to go about this.

In this case x must be less than the magnitude of the harmonic motion, A. So x/A is less than one.

Yes and I did that, but my answer is wrong,so I am wondering were I went wrong.

Punkyc7 said:
Yes and I did that, but my answer is wrong,so I am wondering were I went wrong.

I'm wondering, too. Perhaps you should share your methodology and calculations so that we can puzzle it out.

(arccos(.0742/.13))/sqrt(k/m)=t=.08378

.0837+ .1366=.22sec

Punkyc7 said:
(arccos(.0742/.13))/sqrt(k/m)=t=.08378

.0837+ .1366=.22sec

The question asks for the time from point A to the launch of the ball. You shouldn't have to include the time it takes to go from the spring-compressed position to point A.

Also, if you take the point A to be the zero reference for the motion, and if you set t=0 at that point, the displacement will correspond to a sine function rather than a cosine function.

A*sin(ω*0) = 0
A*cos(ω*0) = A

So the answer should be .189430 secs
Thank you!

Punkyc7 said:
So the answer should be .189430 secs
Thank you!

That value looks a bit large to me. What was the calculation?

.1366+

arcsin(.0742/.13)/sqrt(195/1.75)=.05754489

if you round its .19secs

Your total mass value looks high; 1.2kg + 0.275kg = 1.475kg

Why are you adding 0.1366? You only want the time from point A to the launch.

because point A is at 13cm below the equilibrium spot and that is 1/4 of the period

and isn't 1.2+.275=1.475

Punkyc7 said:
because point A is at 13cm below the equilibrium spot and that is 1/4 of the period

and isn't 1.2+.275=1.475

You had written: arcsin(.0742/.13)/sqrt(195/1.75)=.05754489
So the mass you used was 1.75(kg). Presumably this was a typo?

Point A is the equilibrium level:
...The tray is then pushed down 13 cm below its equilibrium point called point A...

1. What is the purpose of a "ball and tray on a spring" experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to study the behavior of a simple harmonic oscillator, which is a system that exhibits periodic motion. By observing the motion of the ball on the tray attached to a spring, we can understand the concepts of oscillation, amplitude, frequency, and energy transfer.

2. How does the spring affect the motion of the ball on the tray?

The spring provides a restoring force on the ball, causing it to oscillate back and forth. As the ball moves away from its equilibrium position, the spring exerts a force in the opposite direction, bringing the ball back towards the center. This creates a periodic motion known as simple harmonic motion.

3. What factors affect the period of the ball's oscillation?

The period of the ball's oscillation is affected by the mass of the ball, the stiffness of the spring, and the gravitational force acting on the ball. A heavier ball will have a longer period, while a stiffer spring or a stronger gravitational force will result in a shorter period.

4. How does the amplitude of the ball's oscillation change over time?

In a perfect system, the amplitude of the ball's oscillation will remain constant. However, in a real-world scenario, the amplitude may decrease due to factors such as air resistance or friction between the ball and the tray. This is known as damping and it causes the amplitude to decrease over time until the ball eventually comes to a stop.

5. What is the relationship between the potential and kinetic energy of the ball in this experiment?

At any point during the oscillation, the sum of the potential and kinetic energy of the ball is constant. As the ball is displaced from its equilibrium position, it gains potential energy, which is converted into kinetic energy as it moves towards the center. At the center, the potential energy is zero and the kinetic energy is at its maximum. This energy transfer continues as the ball moves back and forth, resulting in a periodic exchange between potential and kinetic energy.