Calculating Moment of Inertia from Ball Angular Momentum Problem?

In summary, the problem involves a 0.478-kg ball colliding with a 0.383-kg object with a perfectly horizontal velocity of 12.8 m/s. After the collision, the ball has a horizontal velocity of 4.6 m/s and the object has an angular velocity of 1.63 rad/s. The moment of inertia of the object can be found by taking moments about the base of the object, using the angular momentum equation. The net angular moment delivered by the ball can be related to the acquired angular velocity to solve for the moment of inertia.
togg

Homework Statement

A 0.478-kg ball is thrown at a 22.3-cm tall, 0.383-kg object and hits with a perfectly horizontal velocity of 12.8 m/s. Suppose the ball strikes at the very top of the object. After collision the ball has a horizontal velocity of 4.6 m/s in the same direction. The object now has an angular velocity of 1.63 rad/s. If the object's center of mass is located 15.6 cm below the point where the ball hits, what is the moment of inertia of the object?

Homework Equations

I = MR^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I am honestly not sure where to begin on this one. I know the initial momentum is conserved and is proportional to the ball's mass and initial velocity. I was sick for the lecture and would appreciate any help on how to solve this problem.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
There's a piece of information missing. I'll assume that there's no slipping at the base of the object.
This means that when the ball delivers an impulse to the top of the object, the object feels a horizontal impulse from the ground. The magnitude will be whatever is required to keep the bottom of the object stationary. You should be able to avoid worrying about that if you take moments about the base of the object (which you're allowed to do if that point is stationary).
So you just need the angular momentum equation for moments about the base. What net angular moment does the ball deliver? How does that relate to the acquired angular velocity?

1. What is the definition of angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion, which is determined by its mass, velocity, and distance from the axis of rotation. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is angular momentum different from linear momentum?

Angular momentum and linear momentum are both measures of an object's motion, but they describe different types of motion. Linear momentum refers to an object's straight-line motion, while angular momentum refers to its rotational motion.

3. What factors affect the angular momentum of a ball?

The angular momentum of a ball is affected by its mass, velocity, and distance from the axis of rotation. Additionally, external forces such as friction or applied torque can also change its angular momentum.

4. How is angular momentum conserved in a ball’s motion?

According to the law of conservation of angular momentum, the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless an external torque is applied. In the case of a ball's motion, the ball's initial angular momentum will remain the same as long as there are no external forces acting on it.

5. How can the ball angular momentum problem be solved?

The ball angular momentum problem can be solved using the equation L = Iω, where L is the angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity. This equation can be applied to different situations, such as a ball rolling down a ramp or a ball spinning on a string.