What factors affect the movement of a ball bearing attached to a spinning disc?

In summary, the ball will always move back and forth, but will eventually stop if the pressure is high enough.
MrShoe
Hello everyone,

Being new here, and not a "Physics Guy" I wasn't sure where this should go, but General Physics seemed like the best bet.

Recently I've been thinking about the effects of circular motion on external objects, and I've hit dead end with one of my trains of thought.

Excuse the crude drawing, but this is what I'm looking at:

BGsFZSS.png

The above picture shows a round disc (meant to be perfectly round/balanced) attached to a drive shaft, with a blue ring on the outside containing a ball bearing. The ring would be a tube inside the outer perimeter of the disc (see below image):

eEjktHa.png

As the disc starts to spin, I imagine that the bearing would also move, probably spinning in the opposite direction, but moving in the same direction. What I'd like to figure out is at what RPM would the bearing stop moving completely, and the factors that can and will change this.

For simplicity, let's say the disc has a diameter of 4" and the ball bearing has a mass of 0.5g. The drive shaft can spin from 0-600 RPM.

I'm sorry if this is vague, I tried to word it the best way I could. If anymore information is needed please let me know.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello MrShoe! Welcome to PF! :smile:

The friction is always forward, so the ball will always move forward relative to the ground, but will always move, and roll, backward relative to the disc. :wink:

Likes 1 person
Ohh I see, thank you, but at what point will the ball stop rolling and stick to the outer edge? Or how would I go about finding that? Assuming that the bearing itself and the surface on the inside of the tube are both very smooth.

MrShoe said:
Ohh I see, thank you, but at what point will the ball stop rolling and stick to the outer edge?

oh i see … you mean, like a centrifuge, which if it spins fast enough, things will stick to its outer wall?

no, the ball will still roll (backwards) whatever the speed, because the center of mass of the ball will always be a constant distance from the outer wall, no matter what position the ball is

(this is unlike say a cube, which once the centrifuge reaches a certain speed will be unable to "roll" because that would mean being on edge at times, and the distance to the centre of mass is √2 more in that position, and the "centrifugal force" prevents the centre of mass "rising that high")

there is no reason for the ball to stop rolling, at least until the pressure makes it so deformed that it becomes a bit cube-like :wink:

Likes 1 person
That makes a lot of sense, actually.

Thank you for the explanation!

1. What is a ball bearing and how does it work?

A ball bearing is a type of rolling element bearing that consists of a series of small metal balls held in place by a ring or cage. It works by reducing friction between moving parts, allowing them to move more smoothly and efficiently.

2. What is inertia and how does it affect objects?

Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion. This means that an object at rest will stay at rest, and an object in motion will continue moving in a straight line at a constant speed, unless acted upon by an external force.

3. How do ball bearings and inertia relate to each other?

Ball bearings can help reduce the effects of inertia by allowing objects to move more smoothly and with less resistance. This is because the rolling motion of the balls reduces friction, which can slow down or stop the movement of an object due to inertia.

4. What are the advantages of using ball bearings over other types of bearings?

Compared to other types of bearings, ball bearings have several advantages. They have a lower coefficient of friction, which means they require less force to move. They also have a longer lifespan and can handle higher speeds and loads.

5. Is there a limit to how much ball bearings can reduce the effects of inertia?

While ball bearings can greatly reduce the effects of inertia, they cannot completely eliminate it. The amount of inertia an object has depends on its mass and velocity, and ball bearings can only reduce the effects of inertia up to a certain point before external forces are needed to change the object's motion.